By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Associations Of Victims On The Release Of Stojic: A Deep Insult And A Moral Defeat Of Justice
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Associations Of Victims On The Release Of Stojic: A Deep Insult And A Moral Defeat Of Justice
WORLD NEWS

Associations Of Victims On The Release Of Stojic: A Deep Insult And A Moral Defeat Of Justice

Published November 9, 2025
Share
SHARE

The former Minister of Defense of the self-proclaimed Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia, Bruno Stojic, who was sentenced in The Hague to 20 years in prison for war crimes committed in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), has been released from an Austrian prison on early parole. Stojic had repeatedly requested release from the Mechanism, but his requests had been denied. The last one he submitted was in January of this year.

In an earlier address to the court, Stojic expressed regret for the suffering of the victims, accepted responsibility, and expressed his sincerest remorse. The victims’ associations called Stojic’s release a deep insult and a moral defeat of justice.

The list of crimes committed by the political and military leadership of the self-proclaimed Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia is quite long, and six Hague convicts were sentenced to a total of 111 years in prison. Bruno Stojic, the Minister of Defense, was sentenced to 20 years, and taking into account the years spent in detention, he has met the conditions for early release. Stojic, let us note, stated in a letter a few years ago that he apologized to the victims and families of the killed, saying that the verdict by which he was convicted was based on actions and on what he had done.

“We will see whether he will stand by that position or will act like all the others who were released, who said one thing before release, and after release denied everything they were charged with in the verdict itself,” says Murat Tahirovic, president of the Association of Victims and Witnesses of Genocide.

“It is clear that there will be a certain type of monitoring and supervision in the context of whether there will be any denial of crimes or attacks on the institutions of international justice, and I think that is very positive,” emphasizes the executive director of BIRN BiH, Denis Dzidic.

Let us recall the statements of the convicted war criminal Dario Kordic from a few years ago, who told those gathered that everything had been worth it and that he would do it all again. Such statements raise doubts among the families of victims and give enough reason for such events to be followed with particular attention. And the recent unveiling of a monument to the war criminal Slobodan Praljak is an additional reason.

“That is punishable by law. The mere glorification of that person is a criminal offense. You do not have to prove anything else. That means that the acting prosecutors can resolve that case within a few hours,” stresses Dzidic.

Have we, as a society, undergone catharsis, or do we remain a place where the highest political officials believe that the label of war criminal disappears once the sentence is served?

“I am afraid that we are still not ready to enter a new chapter of awareness, responsibility, and acceptance of facts,” concludes Tahirovic.

It should be recalled that in November 2017, Stojic and five other former officials of the self-proclaimed Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia were sentenced to a total of 111 years in prison for crimes committed in BiH, including participation in a joint criminal enterprise.

Leclerc, Hamilton and Gasly disqualified from the Chinese Grand Prix

Croatian President in a Working Visit in BiH

US Air Force B-1B Lancer Bombers will perform Flight over Sarajevo Today

Weekly Drop in Oil Prices after Saudi Arabia’s Move

The CoE assessed BiH’s Prison Staff Training needs on addressing violent Extremism

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Interview with Chairman of Presidency: BiH Cannot Become An EU Member With This Constitution
Next Article Sarajevo Airport records Nearly 2 Million Passengers
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

GRAS Director Senad Mujagic resigns
February 16, 2026
Dodik: Military Alliance between Croatia, Albania and Kosovo a Threat to BiH
February 16, 2026
Becirovic, Krichbaum Discuss Dodik’s Hate Speech Evoking Europe’s Darkest Periods
February 16, 2026
New Direct Flight between Sarajevo and Tel Aviv soon
February 16, 2026
BiH Foreign Minister attends the 3rd Makkah Halal Forum
February 16, 2026
Exhibition “United Colors of Olympic City” to Close Sarajevo Olympic Week 2026
February 16, 2026
Protests scheduled for Today at Noon in front of the National Museum
February 16, 2026
Bosnia and Herzegovina Among the Worst in Europe for Corruption Perception
February 16, 2026
Muzaferija concluded her Olympic Performance and sent an important Message to State Institutions
February 16, 2026
Russia harshly criticized the ‘false’ Claims that Navalny was poisoned
February 16, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?