By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Congo Army stopped attempted Coup
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Congo Army stopped attempted Coup
WORLD NEWS

Congo Army stopped attempted Coup

Published: May 21, 2024
Share
SHARE

The army of the Democratic Republic of Congo prevented the assassination of President Felix Tshisekedi in Kinshasa, the BBC reported.

It is said that Congolese and foreign fighters were involved in the assassination attempt in the capital.

General Sylvain Ekenge, a spokesman for the Congolese army, said 50 suspects, including three Americans and a British citizen, had been detained.

Previously, he said on state television RTNC that the situation was under control.

He addressed the public several hours after gunmen stormed the house of Vital Kamerhe, former chief of staff and a close ally of President Tshisekedi, in the morning.

It is added that eyewitnesses said that a group of about 20 attackers in military uniforms entered the residence and that a shooting started.

“Then two guards and the attacker were killed,” Kamerhe‘s spokesman said.

The attackers also occupied the Palace of Nations and the office of the president in the city center, which was specially secured by the Republican Guard.

Former politician killed

President Tshisekedi has so far not publicly commented on the situation.

Local media report that the attackers were members of the New Zaire Movement, associated with Christian Malanga, a former Congolese politician in exile.

“Malanga was killed in the presidential palace after resisting arrest,” General Ekenge said.

His son, Marcel Malanga, is among three American citizens arrested for the alleged coup attempt.

The United States (U.S.) ambassador to the Congo, Lucy Tamlyn, said she was shocked by the allegations that the Americans may have participated in the coup attempt.

“Please be assured that we will be cooperating with the Congolese authorities as they investigate this crime,” Tamlyn wrote in a post on X.

African Union President Moussa Faki said he strongly condemned the coup attempt.

President Tshisekedi began his second term last year in December, when he won about 78 percent of the vote in disputed elections. Nearly 20 people were killed in the violence ahead of the election.

Photo: Illustration

Canadian PM says Trade Deal with US unlikely without some Tariffs
Trudeau says Canada did not offer ‘operational resources’ for the Attacks in Yemen but supports US
“I wish my Hand and Leg come back because I want to play again with the Children”
A 6.7 Magnitude Earthquake in the Pacific Ocean
Austrian Minister Plakolm on Official Visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina Today
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Who was Amir-Abdollahian: Volunteer in War, skilled Negotiator, and Diplomat respected in the West
Next Article The controversial Law on Mobilization in Ukraine entered into Force
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2KFollowersLike
10.1KFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

COS EUFOR welcomes Romanian Reserves Troops deployed for Quick Response 2026
August 23, 2026
Tuka wins the 400-meter Race in Italy
August 23, 2026
Ada Avdagic wins first Medal for BiH in Taekwondo at the Mediterranean Games
August 23, 2026
Exhibition “Scents of Bascarsija” Opens at Sarajevo’s Svrzo House
August 23, 2026
August 23, 2026
August 23, 2026
The Well near Stolac, Over 2,000 Years Old, Never Dries Up
August 23, 2026
European Investigators Inspect Abuse of Irretrievable Funds for Bosnia and Herzegovina
August 23, 2026
BHRT To Seek Review of Sarajevo Court Judgment Ordering It to Pay RTRS 17 Million BAM
August 22, 2026
Ship built in 1913 emerged from the dried-up Sava River
August 22, 2026
Solomun Turned Sarajevo’s Eternal Flame Into a Giant Dance Floor
August 22, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?