By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: King Charles Delivered Historic Speech In Canada Amid Tensions With Trump
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > King Charles Delivered Historic Speech In Canada Amid Tensions With Trump
WORLD NEWS

King Charles Delivered Historic Speech In Canada Amid Tensions With Trump

Published: May 28, 2025
Share
SHARE

King Charles III delivered a historic speech in the Canadian Parliament on Tuesday, as the country, where the British monarch is head of state, faced unprecedented threats from the United States (U.S.) President Donald Trump.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said he had planned to use the king’s first visit to Canada to emphasize Canadian sovereignty.

“This historic honor corresponds to the gravity of our times,” said Carney.

The seventy-six-year-old king, who is undergoing cancer treatment, had arrived in the Canadian capital at the invitation of the prime minister.

King Charles had never publicly commented on Trump’s repeated statements about turning Canada into the 51st U.S. state, so many had closely watched to see whether he would address the issue in his speech.

Trump had also questioned the global trade order and initiated tariff wars against both allied and rival countries, particularly targeting his northern neighbor – Canada.

The so-called “speech from the throne” took place in the Senate, which is temporarily housed in a former train station because the parliament building is under renovation.

Although the king read the speech as if it were his own words, it was in fact written by the prime minister’s cabinet and outlined the government’s priorities for “building a strong Canada,” as well as how those goals would be achieved.

Canada’s Liberal Party, led by Carney – a technocrat with no prior political experience – had won the parliamentary elections on April 28th, following a campaign entirely focused on the stance toward Trump.

Carney had promised the greatest transformation of Canada’s economy since World War II in order to “stand up to” the U.S. president.

The speech was also expected to include a reaffirmation of Canadian sovereignty, which Trump had repeatedly threatened by suggesting that the U.S. annex Canada.

Exceptional symbolism

“When it came to symbolism – it was exceptional because this was only the third time that a monarch had spoken at the opening of Parliament,” said Felix Mathieu, a political scientist from the University of Quebec.

The speech from the throne had been delivered in person only twice before – 1957 and 1977 – by the then-head of state and Charles’s mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II.

“Everything surrounding the speech from the throne was interesting,” added Mathieu, referring to the “message to Donald Trump” that would show “Canada is not alone in this fight.”

Thousands of people came to the capital on Monday to greet the King and Queen Camilla on the first day of their brief visit.

For 32-year-old Srikant Mogulalu, the king was in Canada to send a “clear message to Trump – that it’s not for sale.”

Sixty-year-old retiree Dave Shaw said that “this was a great time for the king to be here – in this geopolitical moment and considering the circumstances Canada is in.”

6 arrested as 35 tonnes of cocaine seized at major European ports
The Anniversary of the Sarajevo Assassination
Severe Storm Strikes Gaza Strip, Displacing Palestinians Lose Tents and Vital Supplies
New Vulnerabilities Have Emerged in the Decade Since the Crisis
Serbian Ministry of Internal Affairs: 31,000 Attended Protest in Belgrade
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Netanyahu claims that Hamas leader Mohammed Sinwar was killed
Next Article EUFOR Aircraft Overflight Announced
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Federal Police Administration arrests Four Persons in Sarajevo
May 18, 2026
Young Innovator Ahmed Guso wins First Place at international Competition in Indonesia
May 18, 2026
11 Mountain Peaks over 2,000 Meters, Eight “Mountain Eyes,” and 17 Icy Rivers and Streams in BiH
May 18, 2026
Sarajevo Canton Invests Millions of BAM in the Renovation and Equipment of the Emergency Medical Services
May 18, 2026
Belgrade-Sarajevo Highway: Serbia is building, BiH is stalling in Political Disputes
May 18, 2026
BiH FM at the Meeting of the International Coalition to End Violence against Women and Girls
May 18, 2026
Deputy Chairperson of BiH CoM to pay an Official Visit to Azerbaijan
May 18, 2026
Bosko and Admira died together defending their Love 33 Years ago
May 18, 2026
Man from Kiseljak kills One Woman, severely injures Another
May 18, 2026
BiH Close to Returning to MONEYVAL Grey List
May 18, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?