By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: The President of Germany called for stricter Control of Migration
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > The President of Germany called for stricter Control of Migration
WORLD NEWS

The President of Germany called for stricter Control of Migration

Published: September 2, 2024
Share
SHARE

Germany should continue to respect the right to asylum, but must take steps to limit irregular migration, German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier said on Saturday at a memorial service for the victims of last week’s attack in Solingen.

“With good reason, Germany offered refuge and security to those fleeing war and oppression, just as many German residents managed to survive the Nazi regime because other countries opened their doors to them,” said Steinmeier.

“We want to remain that country – and we can only do that if we are not overwhelmed by the number of those who come without the right to that special protection,” Steinmeier said.

A Syrian man (26) who lived in a nearby accommodation for refugees was arrested after a deadly knife attack at a public celebration in Solingen, in which three people died and eight others were wounded.

The man is in custody on suspicion of murder and membership in the so-called militant organization. Islamic State (IS). Although IS has claimed responsibility for the attack, German authorities are still investigating the claim, reports DPA.

The suspected attacker is believed to have avoided deportation from Germany, fueling further debate over the country’s asylum and migration policies.

“And we will remain that country only if those seeking protection adhere to the laws of our country. Only then will we be able to maintain acceptance among the population,” said Steinmeier.

He called for cooperation between the government and the opposition to tackle the “enormous task” of enforcing immigration laws and creating workable rules for processing immigration and asylum applications.

Steinmeier said the bloodshed struck at the heart of a “friendly, open and diverse country”.

He pointed out that Germany had failed to keep its promise of safety and security at Solingen, and that it must comprehensively address any mistakes or shortcomings that failed to prevent the attack.

He accused “fanatical Islamists who want to destroy what we love,” including an open society.

Although he accepted that people “feel fear and insecurity”, he emphasized that citizens should not allow fear to paralyze them, reports DPA.

German Chancellor Olaf Scholz, who was also at the commemoration, wrote in a post on the X social network that the crime “hits our heart, makes us furious.”

“We owe it to the victims and their families that this should be a good lesson for us. We mourn those who died in Solingen. We mourn with their families, with everyone in this city, with everyone in Germany,” he added.

Olaf Scholz’s government has proposed stricter rules on weapons, tighter restrictions on benefits for some asylum seekers and more powers for police to deal with possible Islamist threats, RSE writes.

E.Dz.

Orban: Confiscating Russian Assets would drag the EU into War
Russian Propaganda Machinery arrived in BiH, held a seven-day training in the RS
Pentagon Chief: US carried out Three more Attacks on Ships in the Eastern Pacific
US Congressmen: We will not allow the Security of the Region to be threatened
China spent 215 Billion Euros for the Electric Vehicle Production
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Russia claims Trump wouldn’t quickly resolve the War in Ukraine
Next Article China and the Philippines accuse each other of Provocations in the South China Sea
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2KFollowersLike
10.1KFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Press Conference with the Crew of DUA: A Generation Raised in War
August 18, 2026
Covic: Criticism of Grlic Radman will not weaken Support for Croatia, BiH and the Croatian People
August 18, 2026
Regional Premiere of the Film DUA
August 18, 2026
BiH aligns with the EU’s Restrictive Measures in the Fight against Terrorism
August 18, 2026
Metod Pevec: Convicts Opened up Complex Philosophical Questions
August 18, 2026
CEC BiH presents New Technologies for more accurate and Transparent Elections
August 18, 2026
BHRT demands urgent Reaction from OHR and HJPC
August 18, 2026
FPA Action ‘Transporter’ – 73 Kilograms of Cannabis seized in Sarajevo
August 18, 2026
Puljic warns: Dodik’s new Lobbying Offensive in the USA
August 18, 2026
Woody Harrelson to Receive the Honorary Heart of Sarajevo Tonight
August 18, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?