By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: U.S. Marine Testified About the Hunt For Sarajevans During Milosevic’s Trial
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > U.S. Marine Testified About the Hunt For Sarajevans During Milosevic’s Trial
WORLD NEWS

U.S. Marine Testified About the Hunt For Sarajevans During Milosevic’s Trial

Published November 15, 2025
Share
SHARE

The story about foreigners, mostly Italians, who during the siege of Sarajevo paid to shoot from the Army of Republika Srpska (VRS) positions at civilians, went around the world. Although known for 30 years, it has so far not attracted the attention of the Bosnian and Herzegovinian (BiH) judiciary. Many now place their hopes in the investigation by the Italian prosecution. But, lawyers say, the process that will be conducted in Milan will not be simple. Still, the very fact that it has been launched is an important message that war crimes do not expire.

The story was made public for the first time on April 1st, 1995, on the front page of Oslobodjenje, recalls long-time journalist and publicist Sefko Hodzic. Five days later, he also recorded it in his own war diary. Later, in his book, an article titled “Sniper Safari, for Sarajevans.” The news source at the time was Mustafa Hajrulahovic Talijan.

John Jordan’s Testimony

“He says, we have already raised this to the level of the Italian government, which was already after that text on the fifth day. He had already managed to somehow do that; he was in Italy anyway, probably had some connections there. This is a monstrous thing where people from Italy are paying Chetniks to kill Sarajevans. And there I read in that first text, he says that it was no longer news that a civilian was killed in Sarajevo, but the news was that a child was killed, that’s what mattered to them,” Hodzic says.

About the foreigners, the killers, already in 2007, before the Hague Tribunal, former U.S. Marine John Jordan testified. It was during the trial of Dragomir Milosevic, precisely for sniper activity directed at Sarajevo civilians. Jordan then, among other things, said:

“I witnessed on several occasions that persons who did not look to me like local residents, by their clothing, by the weapons they carried, by the way they moved, that is, how they were being led by local residents. I only saw them being taken and moved around well-known sniper positions.”

The story was revived in 2022 after the screening of a film by Slovenian author Miran Zupanic. That prompted the then mayor of Sarajevo, Benjamina Karic, to file a criminal complaint with the BiH Prosecutor’s Office against unknown persons. To this day, this institution has not done anything to verify the allegations. All eyes are on Italy.

“I am optimistic that such great interest from the world public and documented information, documented testimonies, simply must bear fruit. Sarajevo deserves that after 30 years, after more than 30 years. All our children deserve it, the families of the victims deserve it, and I think that every day here is of priceless importance,” Karic believes.

Still, the legal battle will not be simple, the profession warns. Thirty years have passed, witnesses are dying, aging, forgetting, says lawyer Dzevad Mahmutovic. But merely opening the investigation is important for the victims. It sends the message that war crimes do not expire. A particular challenge would be possible cooperation between the Italian judiciary and Serbia.

Possible Obstruction by Serbia?

“I believe that Serbia will obstruct as much as possible, considering that their security service was certainly involved, that is, Security and Intelligence Agency (BIA) or whatever it is called, and I think, they all the time at the Hague Tribunal, before the International Court of Justice (ICJ), tried to show that they had nothing to do with the crimes committed in BiH. So, likely obstruction again,” Mahmutovic assesses.

More than 11.500 Sarajevans were killed during the siege from VRS positions. Snipers instilled a particular terror.

Interview question: “How did you survive the snipers?”

Hodzic: I don’t know how I survived. There were those snipers everywhere. During those first days, I had some kind of… some shivers or something, but later everything was normal, that it was my job, that I was doing it, as a journalist, and nothing could happen to me, and it didn’t.

After the opening of the investigation in Italy, the story echoed around the world in numerous significant media outlets. But the Prosecutor’s Office in Milan has not made any statement since the beginning of the investigation, N1 writes.

COVID-19 has had a major impact on Human Health Globally

Soaring Gas Prices Silence Krakow’s Legendary Fire-Breathing Dragon

Visit of Romanian High-Level Delegation to EUFOR

Snow, Blackouts, and System Failure: How Energy-Secure Is BiH?

Successful Realization of BiH’s Chairmanship of the OSCE Forum for Security Cooperation

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Franciscan Library in Mostar saved Priceless Books from Decay
Next Article Dragons seek Victory against Romania to continue for 2026 World Cup
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Sniper Alley Searches for a Photographer Who Captured a Boy During the Siege of Sarajevo
April 30, 2026
BiH Minister of Defense meets the Ambassador of the Kingdom of Spain to BiH
April 30, 2026
The Central Bank of BiH pays 184 Million BAM in Profit in BiH Budget
April 30, 2026
“The Court’s Decision to release Kunarac is a Slap in the Face to all Victims of War Crimes”
April 30, 2026
Discover the Forgotten Gates of Sarajevo: Secrets and the Influence of Austro-Hungarian Architecture
April 30, 2026
American Production Company to Chronicle BiH’s Historic Road to the World Cup
April 30, 2026
Sad Anniversary: Graham Bamford burnt himself alive because of the Killing in BiH
April 30, 2026
Stanisic Seeks Early Release After Serving Two-Thirds of Sentence
April 30, 2026
Remember the Restaurant “Putin” in Banja Luka? A Café Dedicated to Donald Trump to Open Nearby
April 30, 2026
A Mosque without a Single Nail: A Gem of Sacred Architecture in Buzim
April 30, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?