By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Voice of America “silenced” after 83 Years by Trump’s Order
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Voice of America “silenced” after 83 Years by Trump’s Order
WORLD NEWS

Voice of America “silenced” after 83 Years by Trump’s Order

Published: March 17, 2025
Share
©️Bloomberg
SHARE

The entire staff of the Voice of America (VOA), the largest international television network funded by the US government, was notified on Saturday that it had been placed on administrative leave.

The notice was sent to them via email by Crystal G. Thomas, director of human resources at the US Agency for Global Media (USAGM), which oversees VOA and other government-funded media organizations.

The notice was sent to all full-time VOA employees, from journalists to senior managers, and did not include contract staff whose contracts expire in June, CBS News reported.

As of Saturday, VOA employees have been barred from access to its Washington headquarters, and part-time workers, stringers and those on monthly contracts have also stopped working due to a lack of funding.

The decision follows an executive order by US President Donald Trump on Friday ordering significant budget cuts for USAGM and six other agencies.

“Such entities shall reduce the performance of their statutory functions and related personnel to the minimum presence and function required by law,” Trump’s decision said.

The USAGM, which also oversees Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and Radio Free Asia, halted financial support for both of those organizations, affecting broadcasts in Eastern Europe, Russia, Ukraine, China and North Korea.

Michael Abramowitz, director of Voice of America, expressed his disappointment in a post on LinkedIn.

“I am deeply saddened that for the first time in 83 years, the famous Voice of America has been silenced,” he said and added:

“I learned this morning that almost the entire Voice of America staff, more than 1,300 reporters, producers and support staff, has been placed on administrative leave today. Me too.”

Abramowitz acknowledged the need for reform of the Voice of America and added that progress has been made, but said current government moves are hindering its ability to carry out its mission, especially at a time when adversaries like Iran, China and Russia are investing heavily in spreading disinformation to undermine the United States.

USAID promoted Natural Beauties of Bosnia and Herzegovina
US sells $20 Billion worth of Weapons to Israel
Israeli Aviation attacked Lebanon, Hezbollah uses powerful Weapons
Rescue Team from BiH saves Girl after Six Days under Ruins! (video)
Russia expands the List of sanctioned EU Officials
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Heroic Ambulance Driver Who Spent the Night Saving Lives in North Macedonia Tragically Passes Away
Next Article Chairperson of BiH Presidency congratulated the National Holiday of the Republic of Hungary
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

BiH Council of Ministers adopts the Budget
May 21, 2026
SDA to Amidzic: No Insults or Threats change the fact that you are parasitizing on a System you “do not recognize”
May 21, 2026
DCOM EUFOR meets with Deputy Chief of Joint Staff of the Armed Forces of BiH
May 21, 2026
Searches are underway at several Locations in Una Sana Canton
May 21, 2026
BiH opens Border Crossing, but also a Path to a new Crisis at the State Level
May 21, 2026
Livno Mayor received the Ambassador of the Netherlands to BiH
May 21, 2026
Schmidt: Bosnia and Herzegovina Must Decide Whether It Wants to Preserve or Undermine Its Future
May 21, 2026
The Process of Collecting Documentation on the Environmental Conditions in Vares has begun
May 21, 2026
Swedish Embassy launches Project for Young first-time Voters
May 21, 2026
COM EUFOR Major General Maurizio Fronda meets with the Head of the Islamic Community in BiH
May 21, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?