By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Federal Judge blocks USAID Shutdown, ruling it Unconstitutional
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Federal Judge blocks USAID Shutdown, ruling it Unconstitutional
WORLD NEWS

Federal Judge blocks USAID Shutdown, ruling it Unconstitutional

Published: March 19, 2025
Share
SHARE

A federal judge in the United States has temporarily blocked further cuts to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), ruling that its elimination by the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), led by billionaire Elon Musk, is likely unconstitutional.

The ruling orders President Donald Trump’s administration to restore access to emails and computers for all USAID employees, including those placed on administrative leave.

U.S. District Judge Theodore Chuang of Maryland rejected the Trump administration’s claim that Musk is merely an advisor to the president. The court found that Musk had “firm control over DOGE,” citing a social media post in which he wrote that he had “sent USAID to the wood chipper.”

Judge Chuang acknowledged that USAID is likely no longer capable of performing some of its statutory functions.

“The combination of these facts supports the conclusion that USAID has been essentially eliminated,” he said in his ruling.

The lawsuit was filed by USAID employees and contractors, arguing that Musk and DOGE are usurping powers that, under the Constitution, belong only to elected officials or those confirmed by the Senate. Their lawyers called the ruling a significant step toward halting or reversing many of the moves to shut down USAID.

The Trump administration has previously argued that DOGE investigates and eliminates waste, fraud, and abuse at government agencies, in line with the campaign that helped Trump win reelection in 2024. The White House and DOGE did not immediately comment on the court’s decision.

In February, the Trump administration placed nearly all of USAID’s employees worldwide on leave and notified at least 1,600 U.S. workers that they would be laid off. The goal was to completely dismantle the six-decade-old agency, including its humanitarian and development programs abroad.

On the first day of his new term, Trump signed an executive order freezing foreign aid and initiating a review of all U.S. aid and development programs, arguing that much of the funding was wasteful and promoted a liberal agenda.

The lawsuit was filed by the State Democracy Defenders Fund, and its president, Norm Eisen, called the ruling “a milestone in the fight against DOGE” and the first court decision to confirm that Musk’s actions violated the Constitution’s Appointments Clause.

“They are operating with a chainsaw instead of a scalpel, damaging not only the people USAID helps, but also the stability of the U.S. government,” Eisen said.

Arab and Muslim Leaders Call for immediate end to Gaza War
Von der Leyen: Nuclear Safety is of Key Importance
After Three Months, Humanitarian Aid was again delivered from the Air to Gaza
Strong Earthquake hits Turkey
“#OxfordVaccine is 70.4% Effective”, Interim Data Shows
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Deputy Ministers from RS will not resign from their Positions in the Council of Ministers
Next Article Netanyahu: Today’s Attacks on Gaza are ‘just the beginning’
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

BiH among Nineteen Countries in Europol’s Action
May 19, 2026
Contract worth 74 Million BAM signed for the Procurement of new Technologies for Elections in BiH
May 19, 2026
President of the Federation of BiH spoke with the Chargé d’Affaires of the United States Embassy
May 19, 2026
Helez and Hunter discussed Military Cooperation Programs between BiH and Maryland
May 19, 2026
Kerim Alajbegovic Named Player of the Season in the Austrian Bundesliga
May 19, 2026
Second Victim of the Shooting in Kiseljak dies
May 18, 2026
Exhibition “Erasmus Spain and BiH – a Journey of Culture and Creativity” opened
May 18, 2026
Gunman in Kiseljak Dies After Killing One and Seriously Injuring Another
May 18, 2026
EUFOR Commander Praises Irish Contribution to Peace and Stability in BiH
May 18, 2026
First comprehensive Cancer Prevention Research completed in BiH with EU Support
May 18, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?