OTHER NEWS

Ferhadija Mosque: Take a Walk through the Rooms of the Beauty (video)

b_151125085ferhadijaIslamic Community in B&H enabled virtual tour of Ferhadija Mosque in Banja Luka, one of the beauties of Islamic architecture near Banja Luka’s fortress Kastel, the Vrbas River and the main city road.

Ferhad Pasha’s Mosque, also known as Ferhadija, was built back in 1597 (987 A.H.), and the mosque was financed by Ferhad Bey (who later became pasha) Sokolovic, who built 215 facilities in the period from 1574 to 1587 in Banja Luka.

Since the beginning, the mosque has been destroyed several times, including 1969, when Banja Luka was hit by a powerful earthquake due to which the upper part of the minaret was destroyed. The mosque was destroyed for majority part in the night between 6th and 7th May 1993, after which it was completely destroyed, and the remains were further transported to the city dump.

All works on finding these elements were completed in July 2007 and they lasted for almost 5 months. When Ferhadija Mosque was destroyed, one part of not only Islamic, but also European culture was destroyed.

It was part of the monumental endowment of Ferhad Pasha Sokolovic, the last Bosnian Sandzak-bey and first Begler bey, who was a relative of the famous Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasha Sokolovic.

You can virtually visit Ferhad Pasha’s Mosque HERE.

(Source: klix.ba)

Leave a Comment