[wzslider autoplay=”true”]Bijeljina is the largest city in north-eastern part of B&H. According to the last census of population from 1991, this city and the surrounding villages had about 100,000 residents. Today that number is slightly smaller since large number of pre-war population in this area got killed during the war.
This town was mentioned for the first time in 1446. In the Ottoman era, the parish Bijeljina belonged to nahija Koray. It was mentioned as the headquarters of the kadiluk back in 1634. During the Austro-Hungarian occupation and the war in 1876, the city suffered enormous damage.
Bijeljina is the center of Semberija region today, and one of the most developed cities in our country.