The total costs for environmental protection of the industry sector in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2021 amounted to 199,093,619 KM, i.e. 0.52 percent of the GDP of Bosnia and Herzegovina, and were 23 percent higher compared to the previous year.
Of the total costs for environmental protection, 16.4 percent was spent on investments in environmental protection, while 83.6 percent was spent on environmental protection services.
Most of the expenses related to waste management (62.1 percent), air protection (12.5 percent), followed by wastewater management (12 percent) and biodiversity protection (5.8 percent.
The total realized investments for environmental protection in 2021 amounted to 32,649,726 KM. Of the total realized investments in environmental protection, 67.5 percent were realized as investments at the end of the production process, and the remaining 32.5 percent were investments in integrated technologies, according to the data of the BiH Statistics Agency.
Total current costs for environmental protection amounted to 166,443,893 KM. Of the total current costs, 67.5 percent is related to internal current costs, the remaining 32.5 percent to external current costs.
Environmental Protection Expenditure (EPE) is defined as the amount of money spent on activities directly aimed at preventing, reducing and eliminating pollution or disturbances arising from production processes (or consumption of goods and services).
The data were obtained from the annual statistical survey “Costs for environmental protection (INV-OK)”.
The research included business entities classified according to their predominant activity into the following classification activities: mining of ores and stones; processing industry; production and supply of electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning; water supply; wastewater removal, waste management and environmental rehabilitation activities.
Data on costs for environmental protection are collected for different areas of the environment according to the Single European Statistical Classification of Activities Related to Environmental Protection (CEPA).