Unquenched candles caused a fire in which was burnt Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava in Manhattan, as announced by the Commissioner of the Fire Department of New York, Daniel Nigro.
The fire in the church started on Sunday, the 1st of May, at 6:50 pm, shortly after believers celebrated Easter.
Nigro said that the security guard put candles that were not properly quenched in a box, adding that the fire was a result of an accident.
City authorities stated that there is no direct danger of collapsing walls of the church, but inspectors will monitor the situation.
Church officials are considering whether some part of the 160 years old building can be saved.