The colorful mosque is considered one of the most important symbols of the “City of Veziers” as Travnik is called and it is characterized by colorful decorations and ornaments on the walls as well as being the only mosque in Bosnia and Herzegovina with a minaret rising from the left side of the building.
In the presence of a large number of believers and representatives of religious and political life in Bosnia and Herzegovina, colorful restaurated mosque or Sulejmanija was opened on Saturday in Travnik, Anadolu Agency (AA) reports.
Although this mosque is officially called Sulejmanija, everyone in Travnik uses its longstanding nickname, a reference to its famous frescoed facade.
The colours have since faded but the building remains notable for the bezistan (minibazaar) built into the stone arched arcade. There’s been a mosque here, at Travnik’s centre point, since the 16th century. Its current form dates from 1757, although it was largely reconstructed after a major fire in 1815.