By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Anniversary of the Attack on Goražde
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > OUR FINDINGS > OTHER NEWS > Anniversary of the Attack on Goražde
OTHER NEWS

Anniversary of the Attack on Goražde

Published May 4, 2016
Share
SHARE

13183086_1171594912891463_518480282_nEvery beginning of May in Goražde reminds of the war. On May 1992, when the first shells were fired on the city, editor of Radio Goražde – later the war radio – Anka Ćurovac could not go to work. All hopes she had while following negotiations between SDA and SDS fell into the water. Uncertainty and fear ruled the city full of refugees.

Prior to the attack on Goražde, people still naively believed that there will be no war. In fact, the war started in April already. After the attack on Foča, the surrounding cities were falling one after another. Those who did not escape were killed or detained in camps.

All negotiations between SDS and SDA Goražde were terminated on May 2. The Serbs demanded control over the entire city so it was only a matter of hour when the first shells will be fired.

“We were following the negotiations, trying to encourage people. Just before May 1, Slavko Topalović from the Citizens’ Forum was in negotiations. President of the Municipality Hadžo Efendić requested that the President of SDS Dr. Milosava Herin is present in negotiations. Promises were made that there will be no war, but that was just playing for time. The Serbs have already prepared the siege of the city, their women and children had already left. We were practically left to the mercy,” Anka said.

Despite the promises, the final scouting was performed in the night between May 3 and 4. In the morning of May 4, the first shell was fired, marking the beginning of the barbarian siege of the city on the Drina River, which lasted for three and a half years.

“At that time, there were around 70.000 residents in Goražde and around 25.000 children up to 14 years of age. They were in a very difficult position, accommodated in collective centers, schools, halls, the Red Cross, they practically had nothing,” Anka Ćurovac said.

Two months after the beginning of war, the War Radio started operating. Anka was the editor-in-chief, but at the same time, as a mother of four girls, she was trying to design programs which would bring hope for a better life to the children, at least for a moment. Together with children from the neighborhood, she directed the play “In the Dreamland”, in which the entire neighborhood participated.

“It was important for us to give at least few moments of joy to those children in that despair,” Anka remembered.

(Source: klix.ba)

100,000 Passengers from Banja Luka to fly with RyanAir

Members of Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Official Visit to Slovenia

American giant Amazon could soon enter the Bosnia and Herzegovina Market more strongly?

Do You know Story about Waterfall that appears only after Rain?

Mining Accident in Kakanj: 4 Miners lost their Lives

TAGGED:#aggression#BiH#Gorazde
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Jadranka Stojaković passed away
Next Article More than 1.000 Police Officers to secure the Opening of Ferhadija Mosque
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

The World Health Organization says the Risk of Hantavirus to the General Public is Low
May 4, 2026
Multidisciplinary “Think Freedom” Exhibition by Edina Seleskovic Opens at Europe House
May 4, 2026
Milk Is Imported to Bosnia and Herzegovina While Farmers Are Forced to Dump Domestic Milk
May 4, 2026
The Fourth Salamander Trail to Be Held in Rudo at the End of October
May 4, 2026
Over 65% of Domestic Violence Verdicts End in Suspended Sentences Despite Brutal Abuse Cases
May 4, 2026
Over 5 Million BAM Allocated for Social Protection Programs in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
May 4, 2026
Who Benefits, Who Pays? Seized Assets Debate and Gray List Threat Shake BiH
May 4, 2026
Shutting Down Industrial Plants Directly Jeopardizes the Survival of Railways in BiH
May 4, 2026
Peace March in Memory of More Than 20,000 Expelled Bosniaks and Croats from Doboj
May 4, 2026
The Retrial of Ramiz Durakovic for War Crimes begins at the Court of BiH
May 4, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?