By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Germany Considers Cutting Social Benefits for Ukrainian Refugees
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Germany Considers Cutting Social Benefits for Ukrainian Refugees
WORLD NEWS

Germany Considers Cutting Social Benefits for Ukrainian Refugees

Published August 4, 2025
Share
SHARE

An adviser to German Chancellor Friedrich Merz on Monday backed a proposal to cut social benefits for Ukrainian refugees, backing a controversial proposal by the government’s coalition partner.

Thorsten Frei, the German chancellor’s chief of staff and minister for special tasks, expressed support for a proposed policy change by Christian Social Union (CSU) leader Markus Söder to end state social benefits for Ukrainian refugees.

“Söder is right when he says that we provide benefits that no other country in the world provides,” Frei told broadcasters RTL and NTV, referring to the “citizen’s allowance” (Burgergeld) payments to Ukrainians, which are usually not available to refugees from other countries.

Frei also pointed to worrying figures on the participation of Ukrainian refugees in the workforce in Germany, noting a significant gap compared to neighboring European countries.

“That’s too little when only one in three working-age Ukrainians is actually working,” he said.

On Sunday, CSU leader Markus Söder called for the abolition of citizenship benefits for all those who came from Ukraine, adding that this should apply not only to future arrivals but also to all Ukrainian refugees currently receiving benefits.

His proposal went beyond a coalition agreement reached in May between the Christian Democratic Union (CDU and CSU) and the Social Democratic Party (SPD). The current agreement sets April 1 of this year as the cut-off date, after which Ukrainian newcomers would only receive lower asylum seeker benefits, not the more generous Burgergeld payments.

Germany has taken in more than a million Ukrainian refugees since the start of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine in 2022.

Last year, German authorities spent 46.9 billion euros ($54.3 billion) on Burgergeld payments, of which 6.3 billion euros ($7.3 billion) were specifically allocated to Ukrainian refugees in the country, according to public broadcaster ARD.

PM: Egypt ready to ‘sacrifice millions of lives’ for every Grain of Sand in Sinai

Trump promised Zelensky that he would end the War between Ukraine and Russia through Negotiations

Only BiH has not started the Regional Recognition of IDs

12 killed in Clash between Thai and Cambodian Troops

World’s First Electric Flying Car Successfully Completes Test Flight

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Introducing the Open Air and Open Air Premiere Programmes of the 31st SFF
Next Article European Golf Championship ends, BiH National Team in 11th Place
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Forto Warns: The Reform Agenda is Fading from Public Eye Despite Millions at Stake
April 22, 2026
Softic and Neskovic: It’s Time to Unblock the House of Peoples
April 22, 2026
False Reports of Bombs in 17 Schools across Bosnia and Herzegovina
April 22, 2026
Ministers agree on Allocation of 41 Million BAM from Current Reserves
April 22, 2026
The House of Peoples adopts Five Laws of the FBiH Ministry of Finance
April 22, 2026
Indictment filed against Anis Kalajdzic for Femicide
April 22, 2026
Minister Forto: Talks Requested with the Croatian Government on Drivers’ Stay and Inspections
April 22, 2026
Meeting Held Between Director Of Sarajevo International Airport And Chinese Ambassador To BiH
April 22, 2026
The Bosnian Film Festival starts Tonight in New York
April 22, 2026
FBiH Government launches Process of Restructuring of New Steelwork Zenica
April 22, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?