By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Iran has been under Western Sanctions for Decades: U.S. and EU plan to impose new ones
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Iran has been under Western Sanctions for Decades: U.S. and EU plan to impose new ones
WORLD NEWS

Iran has been under Western Sanctions for Decades: U.S. and EU plan to impose new ones

Published: April 18, 2024
Share
SHARE

The United States (U.S.) and the European Union (EU) say they are considering imposing new sanctions on Iran, following its attack on Israel over the weekend as retaliation for an Israeli attack on Iran’s consulate in the Syrian capital, Damascus.

U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen said she expects to take action “in the coming days,” while High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Josep Borrell said the bloc is working on it.

Iran’s first direct attack on Israel on Saturday saw a wave of more than 300 missiles and drones fired from Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Yemen, most of which were intercepted by Israel and its allies, while a few hit Israeli military bases.

Tehran said the attack was in retaliation for an alleged Israeli air strike on its consulate in Syria on April 1st, in which 13 people were killed.

Israel appears to have only responded with a diplomatic offensive so far. Its Foreign Minister has called on more than 30 countries to impose sanctions on Iran’s missile program.

“Declare the Revolutionary Guard a terrorist organization”

He also called for the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) – Iran’s main military, political, and economic force – to be designated as a terrorist organization, something the U.S. has already done, but the United Kingdom (UK) has not.

Speaking on Tuesday, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Yellen said: “As for sanctions, I fully expect that we will take additional measures against Iran in the coming days.”

Yellen said the U.S. is already using financial sanctions to isolate Iran and disrupt its ability to finance proxy groups and support Russia’s war in Ukraine.

New wave of sanctions

National Security Advisor of the U.S. Jake Sullivan later said the new sanctions would target “Iran, including its missile and drone program,” as well as the IRGC and the Iranian Ministry of Defense.

Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz welcomed the “positive trend towards adopting sanctions” in a statement to X.

Iran warns of a painful response

Iran has indicated that it considers the matter “closed” unless Israel retaliates – with Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi warning that “the slightest action against Iranian interests will definitely be met with a serious, extensive, and painful response.”

Russia – Iran’s ally – has called for restraint, the Kremlin said Tuesday after calls between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi, Forbes writes.

Dramatic Situation in the Middle East, Chaos spills over into Europe
For the first Time since 2006, Israel attacks the Center of Beirut
Bali Travel Insurance for Indians: Key Requirements Before You Fly from India
Three Decades of Oversight: All High Representatives in Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Russia Could Soon Attack NATO, Member States Need To Strengthen Their Armies”
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Dodik: Can you find me a single Person from Srebrenica who died in Srebrenica?
Next Article Borrell: We are on the brink of War in the Middle East
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Nordic Countries Reaffirm Support for Bosnia and Herzegovina at Sarajevo Reception
May 21, 2026
“No Room for Impunity”: Austria Opens Probe Into Alleged Sarajevo Sniper Tours
May 21, 2026
Guardians of the City: Sarajevo Police Officers Celebrated for Heroic Actions
May 21, 2026
Minister of Education, Science, Culture and Sports of USC arrested
May 21, 2026
Ginkel: Energy Security is crucial for the Prosperity of BiH
May 21, 2026
The Directorate’s Delegation participates in the INTERPOL European Conference in Toledo
May 21, 2026
BiH Council of Ministers adopts the Budget
May 21, 2026
SDA to Amidzic: No Insults or Threats change the fact that you are parasitizing on a System you “do not recognize”
May 21, 2026
DCOM EUFOR meets with Deputy Chief of Joint Staff of the Armed Forces of BiH
May 21, 2026
Searches are underway at several Locations in Una Sana Canton
May 21, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?