By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: MICT has rejected a Request for early Release of Milan Lukic
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > MICT has rejected a Request for early Release of Milan Lukic
WORLD NEWS

MICT has rejected a Request for early Release of Milan Lukic

Published: June 28, 2022
Share
SHARE

The Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals (MICT) has rejected a request for the early release of Milan Lukic, who was sentenced by the Hague Tribunal to life in prison for crimes against humanity committed in Visegrad.

According to the decision of the Mechanism, Lukic requested early release, as well as parole. The reasons for parole, among other things, according to the decision, are the fact that serving his sentence in Estonia for eight years prevented him from seeing his “children from Serbia” and that it poses problems for his “young children from Europe” to visit him, which he says violates his human rights.

MICT President Judge Carmel Agius rejected Lukic’s request, explaining in the decision that he believes that Lukic’s mere references to “parole” are unconvincing, without a specific explanation, and they changed the nature of his request. Agius believes that Lukic should only be considered to be seeking early release.

”In the request, Lukic also files a series of submissions challenging the final verdict against him, claiming his innocence and that he was charged with a crime he did not commit,” Agius states.

President Aguis clarified that his predecessor had decided that persons sentenced to life imprisonment could be considered eligible for early release.

”In deciding on Lukic’s previous request, my predecessor determined that “the Mechanism will consider Lukic eligible for early release after serving more than two-thirds of his 45 years, which is more than 30 years of his sentence”,” Agius adds.

He added that his predecessor had already set Lukic’s eligibility threshold for more than 30 years and that he did not intend to deviate from that decision.

”Considering that Lukic has served only about 17 years of his life sentence, he still does not meet the conditions for considering early release,” stated Agius in his decision.

He also added that in July 2021, he received information from Estonia about Lukic’s health condition, but these details were not made public in the decision.

Referring to human rights violations, Agius said that he and his predecessor had taken Lukic’s family circumstances into account when deciding on his other claims, and concluded, among other things, that “while travel can be expensive and inconvenient, this difficulty does not reach the level of violating the right to maintain family ties.”, Detektor writes.

One Person sentenced for War Crimes in Cazin
France Prepares to Celebrate Bastille Day, a National Holiday Marking Revolution and Unity
Long-lost Klimt painting has surfaced
Protests by Citizens opposing Blockades held in several Serbian Cities
Investor Confidence in the Eurozone at its lowest Level in nine Months
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Do we need a new Loan from the IMF?
Next Article The disputed Law on Medicines of the Republika Srpska entered into Force
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2KFollowersLike
10.1KFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

1.7 Million BAM worth Monument to be built in Banja Luka
August 21, 2026
The Cantonal Police Department has secured more than 40 Public Gatherings
August 21, 2026
Duma: I Never Wanted to Make a Film About the Community, but a Film With the Community
August 21, 2026
Helicopter of BiH AF once again extinguishes the Fire in the Area of Bosansko Grahovo
August 21, 2026
Genocide Victims respond to Vucic’s Request for Mladic’s Treatment
August 21, 2026
Solomun in front of the Eternal Fire Tonight!
August 21, 2026
French EUFOR Reserve Units Arrive in Bosnia and Herzegovina by Air and Road
August 21, 2026
Céline Sciamma: The Camera Can Give a Soul to an Ordinary Object
August 21, 2026
Austrian Reserve Forces arrive in BiH for EUFOR ”Quick Response 2026”
August 21, 2026
Asghar Farhadi: Life is Never Linear
August 21, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?