By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Painful Memories of Rape, Abuse and Murders in Rogatica in 1992
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Painful Memories of Rape, Abuse and Murders in Rogatica in 1992
WORLD NEWS

Painful Memories of Rape, Abuse and Murders in Rogatica in 1992

Published: June 10, 2023
Share
SHARE

In the spring and summer of 1992, attacks took place in the area of Rogatica, and the Bosniak population sought salvation by fleeing through the forests and surrounding villages. Those who failed were imprisoned in detention facilities, where many were abused or killed, while their families are still searching for the bodies of around 300 people.

Emina Hodzic, who lived in the Holuc settlement, remembers the attack on Rogatica. Her husband Edhem and sons Enver and Edin were taken with other men on June 4th, 1992, when she last saw them.

“Eight of them were taken away that morning in a transporter. We found out that they were all taken to Seljani. The transporter came, and they cursed their mother,” says Hodzic, who after the war found the remains of her children and husband in a grave on Dizdar’s field in the village of Pljesevica.

“I saw them that morning, so I say that I at least hugged and kissed the children, but no. And I never saw them again. Only the dead,” she says.

At the trial of the former president of Republika Srpska (RS), Radovan Karadzic, who was sentenced to life imprisonment for genocide and other war crimes committed in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), the protected witness spoke about the inhumane treatment at the High School Center, where he had been imprisoned since May 1992 with his family.

“My family experienced a terrible calvary. My daughter was raped then in 1992 – at the age of seven and a half. And several times. My son, who was 13 years old, was raped for months, and that hurts the most. They raped me too, but I endured itsomehow, but when it comes to children, it’s difficult,” he said, adding that his wife was also taken away, but that they never discussed it.

Residents of Rogatica and residents of the surrounding villages were also imprisoned in other facilities – “Sladara”, Crkveni dom and agricultural estate “Rasadnik”.

A protected witness from Karadzic’s trial described that life in Rogatica before the war was full of understanding and that mixed marriages were not rare.

“Rogatica was a city where you could live comfortably, where we all had our jobs, children went to school, we had outstandingnatural beauty, which we all used together, we celebrated together. It gave a really beautiful image of a small Bosnian town that was cut off in May 1992 and bloodily cut off by the Serbian army,” said the witness.

However, due to the crimes that took place, many decided to continue their lives elsewhere, and the few who returned are now afraid to speak in front of the cameras. They say that maybe because of this, someone withholds information about potential locations of mass graves. According to the data of the Institute for Missing Persons of BiH, so far 435 people killed in the Rogatica area have been exhumed, and another 300 missing persons are being searched for, Detektor reports.

E.Dz.

Hearings and Testimonies continue in the Case of Murder of Dzenan Memic
Serbia is the leading in Europe in terms of the rate of Recovery of Tourist Traffic
Inflation rises in the Eurozone
In Federation of BiH, Glucometers are in use that could be fatal for Children
CRA’s Decision to fine Local TV is a way to introduce Media Darkness
TAGGED:#bosnia#news#war
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article BiH Basketball Player Jusuf Nurkic announced Project in Srebenica
Next Article Mechanism welcomes new Judge to its Judicial Roster
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Trade Unions demand urgent Adoption of Law on Emergency Administration in New Steelwork Zenica
May 24, 2026
Fifteen BiH National Team Players had their First training Session in Butmir
May 24, 2026
EUFOR ALTHEA and the Italian Red Cross Deliver IHL Course for the AFBiH
May 24, 2026
Who Will Be the New High Representative?
May 24, 2026
Sarajevo Pride Returns as Organizers Invite Citizens to Decorate Balconies with Rainbow Colors
May 23, 2026
More than 200 Oldtimers in Mostar at one of the largest Gatherings of its kind in Europe
May 23, 2026
Wearing Jersey of BiH at the World Cup is a privilege that Generations Dream about
May 23, 2026
BiH FM at the GLOBSEC Forum: Preserve the Full Role of the OHR as a Key Factor in the Protection of the Constitutional Order
May 23, 2026
The Cost of Sour Grapes
May 23, 2026
GSS Prenj founds a Person who went Missing Four Days ago
May 23, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?