By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Republika Srpska is changing the EU Grant for a Chinese Loan for the Road
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Republika Srpska is changing the EU Grant for a Chinese Loan for the Road
WORLD NEWS

Republika Srpska is changing the EU Grant for a Chinese Loan for the Road

Published: April 24, 2024
Share
SHARE

The authorities in the Republika Srpska (RS) recently signed a memorandum with a Chinese company for the reconstruction of the road from Foca to Scepan Polje worth 100 million euros, under conditions that have not been announced publicly, which could make this important project significantly more expensive because they had previously negotiated with the European Union (EU) for significantly more favorable and more transparent conditions.

The Chinese company “CRBC” is currently the closest to getting the job of rebuilding or building the road between Foca and the state border with Montenegro worth 200 million BAM after the Government of RS signed a memorandum with them according to which the entire job will be financed by a Chinese bank.

In this way, instead of the unsafe macadam road from Foca to the state border, a modern road will be built. After years of ignoring calls to repair the road, the RS authorities began negotiating with the EU to finance the road – partly from a soft loan and partly from a grant.

Now, when the funds become almost certain, they are changing those negotiations for more expensive and less transparent financing from Chinese sources.

“It would be crazy to choose such an option”, believes Edin Forto, State Minister of Transport and Communications, who says that Chinese conditions cannot be more favorable than European ones.

The EU has already allocated 2.2 million euros for preparatory works through funds from the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA) allocated to Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH). The EU Delegation says that these funds supported the preparation of technical documentation, as well as the drafting of a tender for the execution of works in 2017.

The Delegation also confirms that negotiations are ongoing for financing the construction of the road.

At the same time, the Government of the RS recently signed a memorandum with the Chinese company “CRBC” (China Road and Bridge Corporation) on the reconstruction of a part of the main road Foca – Scepan Polje worth 100 million euros, the content of which is unknown, despite the much more favorable loan that could be offered by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the World Bank.

The Minister of Transport and Communications in the Government of RS says that he wants to make a competition.

“Whoever decides sooner that he will participate in the financing of that road, seriously, it is not certain yet“, says Minister Nedjeljko Cubrilovic and adds that the EU offered 70 million euros for the construction, Slobodna Evropa writes.

E.Dz.

The EU launched an Investigation against Meta, the Owner of Facebook and Instagram
Israel before the International Court of Justice: The first Hearing on the Charge of Genocide has begun
Stoltenberg is optimistic that Sweden will be a Member of NATO by March
On New Year’s Eve in Medjugorje, Pilgrims from several European Countries and the USA
Belgium reported their most successful CES ever
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Honorary Heart of Sarajevo Award and “Tribute to“ Programme dedicated to Elia Suleiman
Next Article The Spanish Government will compensate Victims of Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Rome and Washington Back Landi for High Representative
May 20, 2026
Hasanovic demands a Public Apology from BiH Minister of Finance
May 20, 2026
ITA BiH: The new Gradiska Border Crossing has not been opened, but temporarily moved to another Location
May 20, 2026
Mechanism Prosecutor Brammertz Concludes Mission to Kigali
May 20, 2026
Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of BiH on an Official Visit to Turkey
May 20, 2026
Alkalaj: US will be much more active in the Process of selecting a new HR and the work of the OHR
May 20, 2026
Vice President of RS files Criminal Charges against Finance Minister
May 20, 2026
EU Delegation Condemns Amidzic’s Speech: Incendiary Statements Addressed to Zijad Krnjić and Bosniaks Unacceptable
May 20, 2026
World Cup Fever Grips BiH as Sticker Mania Unites Generations
May 20, 2026
Krnjic: Chauvinistic and Islamophobic Statements show Amidzic’s true Face
May 20, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?