By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: The Wave of Violence in Haiti continues despite the state of emergency
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > The Wave of Violence in Haiti continues despite the state of emergency
WORLD NEWS

The Wave of Violence in Haiti continues despite the state of emergency

Published: March 13, 2024
Share
SHARE

Haiti continues to face violence unleashed by armed groups despite a state of emergency and the resignation of Prime Minister Ariel Henry.

On Tuesday, Haiti’s prime minister said he has agreed to resign after a transitional presidential council is created and a new interim prime minister is appointed.

The US expects members of Haiti’s presidential transition council to be named within the next 24 to 48 hours, the State Department said.

“That should happen in the very short term. I can’t put a timeline on the appointment of an interim prime minister, but we expect that to happen in the near future,” spokesman Matt Miller said.

Henry resigned on Monday amid increased violence by a notorious gang that has repeatedly forced the general election to be called off.

Henry, who has been in Puerto Rico for security reasons since March 5, informed the CARICOM regional bloc of his decision to resign.

Jimmy Cherizier, the gang leader who led thousands of inmates to escape from prison, said on March 6 that unless Prime Minister Henry resigned, “Haiti will either be heaven for everybody or hell for everybody.”

Armed gangs demanding Henry’s resignation launched an armed attack on two prisons near Port-au-Prince and the Croix des Bouquets region on March 2 and 3 and clashed with security forces. During the conflict, about 4,000 prisoners escaped from the prison, and 12 people died.

Cherizier’s gang tried many times to seize the capital’s airport to prevent Prime Minister Henry from returning to the country.

Henry was in Nairobi at the time of the gang attacks to discuss sending a multinational security force led by Kenya to Haiti.

On March 4, the government announced that a state of emergency had been declared. The night curfew has been extended until March 14.

Dozens of people have been killed and more than 15,000 have been forced to flee their homes to escape the devastating violence.

The main port in Port-au-Prince remains closed, with dozens of containers of supplies waiting at the port. Water is running low, and stores are running out of goods.

The U.S. Lifted Sanctions On Dodik, But The Warning Remains
German FM announced an additional 19 Million Euros in Aid for Gaza
UK Media Recommended BiH As The Most Underrated Destination In Europe
These are the Countries with the Cleanest Beaches in Europe
Croatian shipyard workers stage another strike over salaries
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Association Pomozi.ba started distributing iftar in Gaza
Next Article Three Million BAM allocated for co-financing the protection of national monuments
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2KFollowersLike
10.1KFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Şerban: The Drama Has to Be Unaware of You, And You Need to Forget You Are in the Seat
August 20, 2026
Big Transfer: Ermedin Demirovic goes to Galatasaray for 20 Million Euros
August 20, 2026
Solomun returns to the Eternal Fire: Sarajevo ready for the great Music Spectacle
August 20, 2026
“Under Scrutiny” warns of the uneven Practice of Sanctioning the Abuse of Children for Political Purposes
August 20, 2026
Docu Press Corner: Personal Stories Between Reality and Memory
August 20, 2026
Lejla Njemcevic once again among the Top Ten Female Cyclists in the World
August 20, 2026
Wage Salaries in Bosnia and Herzegovina Quickly Wiped Out by Rising Prices
August 20, 2026
BiH Gets More Favorable Conditions for Electricity Export, Savings of up to 13 Million Euros Annually
August 20, 2026
Chairman of BiH Presidency meets with the Delegation of the Coordination of Basic Veterans’ Associations of FBiH
August 20, 2026
Donation from Austria: 45 new Electric Beds for the Cantonal Hospital in Bihac
August 20, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?