By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Trump Releases 230.000 Pages Of Files On The Murder Of Martin Luther King
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Trump Releases 230.000 Pages Of Files On The Murder Of Martin Luther King
WORLD NEWS

Trump Releases 230.000 Pages Of Files On The Murder Of Martin Luther King

Published: July 23, 2025
Share
©️Washington Post
SHARE

The administration of the United States (U.S.) President Donald Trump has released a large number of documents related to the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., including FBI files on the surveillance of this civil rights leader.

A court order had prevented the release of these documents – totaling 230.000 pages – since 1977. Prominent members of King’s family opposed the release. In a joint statement, his two surviving children condemned “any attempt to misuse these documents with the aim of damaging our father’s legacy.”

Martin Luther King Jr., a Baptist minister, was assassinated in Memphis on April 4th, 1968, at the age of 39. James Earl Ray, a career criminal, pleaded guilty to the murder but later withdrew his confession.

Martin III and Bernice King, the two surviving children of the famous activist, who were informed in advance of the release, said on Monday: “We ask everyone who will analyze these documents to do so with empathy, restraint, and respect for the pain our family still feels. The release of these materials must be viewed in full historical context.”

“During our father’s life, he was relentlessly targeted by an invasive, predatory, and deeply disturbing campaign of disinformation and surveillance led by J. Edgar Hoover through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI),” their statement said.

The family emphasized that this surveillance stripped King of “the dignity and freedoms that belong to every private citizen.”

They also recalled a 1999 civil court ruling for wrongful death, in which the jury concluded that King was not killed by a lone racist assassin but was the victim of a broad conspiracy.

In January, Trump ordered the declassification of documents not only about King’s assassination but also the assassinations of former President John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert F. Kennedy.

A statement from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) on Monday said that the King files had been “gathering dust in the archives of various federal institutions for years, until today.”

The documents include “internal FBI memoranda” and “previously unseen CIA materials” related to the search for King’s killer, the ODNI noted.

The release was coordinated with the FBI, the Department of Justice, the National Archives, and the CIA.

“U.S. citizens deserve answers, decades after the horrific murder of one of our nation’s greatest leaders,” said U.S. Attorney General Pamela Bondi.

However, not all members of King’s family opposed the release. Alveda King, who refers to Martin Luther King as “my uncle,” stated: “I’m grateful to President Trump and DNI Director Gabbard for fulfilling the promise of transparency. While we continue to grieve his death, the declassification and publication of these documents represent a historic step toward the truth U.S. citizens deserve.”

Trump’s critics point out that the release comes at a time when his administration is being accused of a lack of transparency regarding documents on Jeffrey Epstein, the influential sex offender whose 2019 death in prison was ruled a suicide.

Civil rights leader Al Sharpton called the release of King’s files “a desperate attempt to divert attention from the Epstein documents scandal and the erosion of Trump’s credibility in the public eye.”

Before his arrest, King’s assassin James Earl Ray fled the U.S. to Canada, Portugal, and the United Kingdom (UK), where he robbed a bank.

After being extradited to Memphis, he pleaded guilty in 1969 and was sentenced to 99 years in prison. He later claimed to have been a scapegoat used by unknown conspirators and tried to withdraw his confession, but the courts rejected this several times. Ray died in 1998 at the age of 70.

Almost 18,000 Civilians were killed in Israeli Attacks on Gaza
Israel cuts off 70 Percent of Gaza’s Water Supply
Russia is suspending Gas Deliveries to Austria
A Resolution was adopted which calls for an International Investigation into the Elections in Serbia
Slovenia postpones the decision on the Recognition of Palestine
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Ozzy Osbourne died at the age of 76, the World says Goodbye to the Icon of Rock Music
Next Article Number of Pensioners in BiH Nearly Equals Number of Workers
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

ITA BiH: The new Gradiska Border Crossing has not been opened, but temporarily moved to another Location
May 20, 2026
Mechanism Prosecutor Brammertz Concludes Mission to Kigali
May 20, 2026
Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of BiH on an Official Visit to Turkey
May 20, 2026
Alkalaj: US will be much more active in the Process of selecting a new HR and the work of the OHR
May 20, 2026
Vice President of RS files Criminal Charges against Finance Minister
May 20, 2026
EU Delegation Condemns Amidzic’s Speech: Incendiary Statements Addressed to Zijad Krnjić and Bosniaks Unacceptable
May 20, 2026
World Cup Fever Grips BiH as Sticker Mania Unites Generations
May 20, 2026
Krnjic: Chauvinistic and Islamophobic Statements show Amidzic’s true Face
May 20, 2026
Slovenian Journalists expose Network of Suspicious Transactions behind Viaduct Affair
May 20, 2026
Minister Amidzic after the Opening of the New Border Crossing: Political Victory of Republika Srpska
May 20, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?