By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: EU has threatened to withdraw Migrant Support funding for Bosnia and Herzegovina over Failure to provide Reception Centres
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > OUR FINDINGS > OTHER NEWS > EU has threatened to withdraw Migrant Support funding for Bosnia and Herzegovina over Failure to provide Reception Centres
OTHER NEWSOUR FINDINGS

EU has threatened to withdraw Migrant Support funding for Bosnia and Herzegovina over Failure to provide Reception Centres

Published: June 20, 2020
Share
SHARE

 

The European Union has threatened to withdraw migrant support funding for Bosnia over its failure to provide adequate reception centres despite receiving money from Brussels.

Bosnia, which is not a member of the EU, has already been given €60 million (Dh248m) in emergency funding by the bloc, most notably for six migrant centres that currently house more than 6,000 people, The National reports.

As many as 1,500 migrants are believed to be sleeping rough in the north-western Krajina region, which borders EU-member Croatia, and is the main transit point into the bloc. Others have been held in squalid conditions at a camp on a landfill site close to an uncleared minefield as Croatia has refused to take in migrants.

EU Home Affairs Commissioner Ylva Johansson said Bosnian authorities must respect the rule of law and human rights, in a letter to the governor of Krajina seen by Associated Press.

“Should this not be the case, the commission will reconsider its assistance in the area of migration management,” she said.

In 2017 Bosnia registered 755 illegal arrivals, but the figure rose to about 30,000 in 2019.

Bosnia has repeatedly promised to identify additional suitable public properties for temporary accommodation of migrants, the letter said, but the local authorities in Krajina have instead recently begun “threatening to close down [existing] reception centres, obstructing the work of our humanitarian partners and forcibly relocating vulnerable persons”.

“Such worrying developments raise very serious concerns with regard to the respect of the rule of law and human rights,” it added.

Krajinas Governor Mustafa Ruznic insisted that the migrant camps must be shuttered.

He told AP his primary responsibility is to “protect safety of our citizens.” Krajina “cannot and will not continue to carry the entire burden of the migration crisis,” he said.

Amnesty International recently accused Croatian police of torturing asylum seekers and attacking them with blunt objects.

“The European Union can no longer remain silent and wilfully ignore the violence and abuses by Croatian police on its external borders,” said Massimo Moratti, deputy director of Amnesty International’s Europe Office, said earlier this month.

“Their silence is allowing, and even encouraging, the perpetrators of this abuse to continue without consequences.”

 

Turkovic: The Council of Ministers of BiH cannot be an Area for political Performances
Former Employees of Vitezita Started Walking From Vitez to Sarajevo
Small Family Business producing Soap exports to the United Arab Emirates
Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Albania will be opened Next Year
150,027 Tourists Arrivals in the First Two Months this Year
TAGGED:#BiH#centres#EU#funding#migrants#money#reception
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Ambassador of Germany visited Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Next Article Paid Tribute to raped Women, ‘welcomed’ by Mural of War Criminal Draza Mihailovic
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2KFollowersLike
10.1KFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Solomun Turned Sarajevo’s Eternal Flame Into a Giant Dance Floor
August 22, 2026
Ban on the Symbol of the Army of the Republic of BiH goes before the Constitutional Court
August 22, 2026
Active Fires at several Locations near Trebinje
August 22, 2026
International Day of Remembrance for Victims of Violence Based on Religion or Belief
August 22, 2026
Large Road Corridor is being launched, it will also pass through BiH
August 22, 2026
Cantonal Police confirms: Not a single Incident at more than 50 Public Gatherings
August 22, 2026
Who Is Lobbying for Bosnia and Herzegovina’s Interests?
August 22, 2026
Prixx Cineplexx Audience Award Goes to THE WIDOWER
August 22, 2026
Situation at the Fire Site near Bosansko Grahovo is stable after the Rain
August 22, 2026
Paleocrassas: Being Observed Without Judgment can be Surprisingly Empowering
August 22, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?