By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: 78 Bodies of Miners pulled from Gold Mine, Hundreds still buried
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > 78 Bodies of Miners pulled from Gold Mine, Hundreds still buried
WORLD NEWS

78 Bodies of Miners pulled from Gold Mine, Hundreds still buried

Published: January 16, 2025
Share
SHARE

Rescuers in South Africa have pulled at least 78 dead and more than 160 surviving miners from an abandoned gold mine, where they had been trapped for more than two months during a standoff with authorities demanding they surrender to police for mining illegally.

Hundreds of miners are believed to be still trapped in the mine, and the death toll is expected to rise.

Non-governmental organizations claim that authorities have removed the equipment the miners used to enter and exit the mine.

They also say that many of the miners have died of starvation due to the government’s refusal to launch a rescue operation for weeks.

The rescue is now underway, but only a few miners can be pulled out at a time, and the operation could take up to 10 days.

South African authorities have claimed that the miners could always have escaped through another shaft at the Bufelfontein gold mine.

However, activists said that the shaft is reached by a dangerous underground path that could take days, and many are too weak or sick after months underground, with little food and water.

Police claim that some miners refused to leave.

Responding to a request from a relative of one of the miners, a court last week ordered the authorities to launch a rescue operation that began on Monday.

Police first tried to force the miners out of the closed mine near the town of Stillfontein, southwest of Johannesburg, in November by cutting off their food and water supplies.

The court then ruled that the authorities must deliver supplies, but civic groups argue that officials should have done more at the time because, “even without police intervention, the miners were unable to get enough food and water into the mine.”

The mine is 2.5 kilometers deep with multiple shafts, many levels and tunnels.

A group representing the miners said that many groups were in different parts of the mine and estimated that more than 500 miners were underground when the rescue began.

It is not clear how long they have been underground, but the miners’ families say some of them have been there since July.

Police said today that 78 bodies have been found so far, and that 166 survivors have been pulled out.

Court in The Hague Rejects Request: War Criminal Ratko Mladic Denied Early Release
Pope appears in Public for the First Time after leaving the Hospital
Biden: Gaza Ceasefire could happen if Hamas releases Hostages
Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of BiH at the Reception at Governor in Maryland
Russian Army Gains 725 Square Kilometers in November Offensive
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Journalists, Lawyers and Activists join Forces to fight SLAPP in BiH
Next Article Cease-Fire Shattered: Over 30 Palestinians Killed in Israeli Strikes on Gaza
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

More than 30 Council of Europe Parliamentarians arrive in Sarajevo
May 17, 2026
The Museum of Literature and Theater Arts of BiH implements a Digital Library Project
May 17, 2026
New Law Makes Stay of Workers from BiH in Croatia Easier
May 17, 2026
34 Years Ago, Defenders of Sarajevo Thwarted Aggressors’ Hellish Plan
May 17, 2026
Academic Freedoms at Universities in BiH increasingly threatened by Political Pressures
May 17, 2026
BiH and Moldova Move Toward First-Ever Scheduled Air Links
May 17, 2026
SOC: LGBTI Persons in BiH still without full Protection
May 17, 2026
Three Gold and One Silver Medal for Young BiH Athletes
May 17, 2026
Schmidt Signals Possible Breakthrough on State Property Issue in BiH
May 17, 2026
Bulgaria is the Winner of the 70th Edition of Eurovision Song Contest
May 17, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?