By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: A Year without Indictments for denying Crimes worries Victims
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > A Year without Indictments for denying Crimes worries Victims
WORLD NEWS

A Year without Indictments for denying Crimes worries Victims

Published July 6, 2022
Share
SHARE

Denial of the genocide in Srebrenica decreased significantly in the first year since the beginning of the legal ban on downplaying and denying war crimes. But the lack of charges raises fears among victims that impunity could lead to re-emboldening deniers.

Idriz Smajic from Bratunac survived the genocide in July 1995. That month, he was wounded through both legs, and due to the lack of medical assistance after moving to Tuzla, part of his leg was amputated. Today, he lives in Sarajevo with his family. Due to the lack of security caused by the denial of genocide and the glorification of convicted war criminals, he decided not to return to Bratunac.

“As someone who survived the genocide, I see that there is denial of the genocide every day, but nothing happens, no indictment has been brought in this capacity,” he noted.

The State Prosecutor’s Office confirmed for the Balkan Research Network of Bosnia and Herzegovina (BIRN BiH) that they have more than 50 criminal charges filed based on the ban on denying genocide, other war crimes or glorifying criminals imposed last year by the former high representative in BiH, Valentin Inzko.

Prosecutor Oleg Cavka says that the Prosecutor’s Office of BiHhas undertaken investigative actions in most of the cases about which it received a report, ordered police agencies to collect evidence, such as video recordings of shows “in which some unwanted words were spoken”.

“However, after that, we still haven’t reached the stage where we got the impression that all the elements of a criminal offense have been met in such a way that the court could condemn it, that is, make a decision about someone’s guilt,” says Cavka.

In the Srebrenica Memorial Center, they say that since the changes were imposed in July last year, denial of the genocide has decreased significantly. In the annual report published in the week of the 27th anniversary of the genocide, the results show that denial of the genocide in Republika Srpska (RS) has decreased by five times compared to the year before Inzko’s changes, according to Edin Ikanovic.

He tracks the denial and records it for the annual report. He says that since last year, they have recorded more than 400 examples of genocide denial, but that most of them come from Serbia.

“What the report will show, we will see that after the adoption of the law, there was a drastic decrease in the number of denials in the territory of BiH, that is, the territory of the RS entity, where the denials were coming from. In some percentages, it could be said that over 80 percent denial of genocide is reduced when it comes to the RS entity,” stated Ikanovic.

While all interlocutors agree that the denial of crimes has decreased after the adoption of amendments to the law, Murat Tahirovic, president of the Association of Victims and Witnesses of Genocide, says that among returnees as well as citizens, the non-processing of these parts causes certain doubts in the Prosecutor’s Office because “not one of those reports was not processed correctly way nor it informed the public about what it has done in that regard”, Detektor writes.

E.Dz.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of BiH provided Support to Poland

Medjugorje Welcomes Visitors Again This Year

Photo Exhibition on Winter Paralympic Games 2018 opened in Sarajevo

Up to Fifty Thousand Men and Women raped in BiH during War

Niksic: Every Announcement of RS Secession is accompanied by Citizens leaving for Germany

TAGGED:#BiH#bosnia#denial#genocide#news
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Cerkez: We are seeing a slight Increase in the Number of People infected with COVID-19
Next Article RS registers the state Property of BiH despite the Prohibitions
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

BiH Youth and Migrants together against Hatred
April 20, 2026
Kia The Only Dog In BiH With An International Search And Rescue License
April 20, 2026
The Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Ustasha Crimes in the Jasenovac Camp marked in Donja Gradina
April 19, 2026
HR Schmidt: Respond decisively to Islamophobic Thetoric and Hate Speech
April 19, 2026
Sarajevo Cable Car resumes Service
April 19, 2026
Fuel never more expensive, House of Peoples to discuss Excise Taxes Tomorrow
April 19, 2026
EUFOR and Armed Forces BiH will Train Together in Manjaca
April 19, 2026
Prevot after Visiting Srebrenica: “I cannot stress enough how important it is to reject the Denial of War Crimes”
April 19, 2026
Mihael Stajnar is the Winner of the Tour of Bosnia and Herzegovina
April 19, 2026
EUFOR Commander hosts Belgian Foreign Minister in Camp Butmir
April 19, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?