By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Brussels’ Revenge: The EU imposes retaliatory Tariffs on the U.S. worth 28 Billion Dollars
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Brussels’ Revenge: The EU imposes retaliatory Tariffs on the U.S. worth 28 Billion Dollars
WORLD NEWS

Brussels’ Revenge: The EU imposes retaliatory Tariffs on the U.S. worth 28 Billion Dollars

Published March 14, 2025
Share
SHARE

That the European Union (EU) would retaliate against United States (U.S.) tariffs was expected; the only question was when. As the European Commission announced in its statement on Wednesday, the EU will impose retaliatory tariffs next month on U.S. goods worth 26 billion euros (28 billion dollars). However, despite the announced tariffs, which indicate that the global trade war initiated by the U.S. with its general tariffs on steel and aluminum is not subsiding but rather intensifying, Europe is not closing the door to negotiations. Instead, it emphasizes that it remains open to talks and believes that higher tariffs are in no one’s interest.

New tariffs are in no one’s interest

“We firmly believe that in a world full of geoeconomic and political uncertainties, it is not in our shared interest to burden our economies with such tariffs. We are ready to engage in meaningful dialogue,” said European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

Until negotiations take place and an agreement is reached, the European Commission will reimpose tariffs on certain U.S.products, which had been temporarily suspended. As of April 1st, the suspension of temporarily halted tariffs on certain U.S.products will end, and the European Commission’s tariffs will be fully in effect until April 13th.

The increased tariffs of 25 percent imposed by U.S. President Donald Trump on all steel and aluminum imports took effect on Wednesday after previous exemptions, duty-free quotas, and product exclusions expired.

“The countermeasures we are taking today are strong but proportionate. As the U.S. applies tariffs worth 28 billion dollars, we are responding with countermeasures worth 26 billion euros,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told reporters on Wednesday, adding that the EU must act to protect its consumers and businesses.

Products covered by the tariffs

The suspended tariffs apply to a wide range of products, from boats and bourbon to motorcycles. However, the list does not end there, as the EU will add other product categories after two weeks of consultations. The proposed targeted products include industrial and agricultural goods such as steel and aluminum, textiles, household appliances, plastic, poultry, beef, eggs, dairy products, sugar, and vegetables.

The new measures will target about 18 billion euros worth of goods to ensure that the total value of the EU’s measures corresponds to the increased trade volume affected by the new U.S. tariffs.

“In the meantime, we will always remain open to negotiations,” von der Leyen said, Forbes writes.

Warsaw Scrambles Fighter Jets Amid Developments in Ukraine

Trump to Switzerland: What else can the very rich Alpine Country offer?

Iran says tension among Arab states “threat to interests” of all region

Brussels Airport After Cyberattack demands Cancellation Of Half Of Departing Flights

The Plane made an emergency Landing at Podgorica Airport due to a Bomb Threat

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Trump’s Wealth drops by 300 Million Dollars
Next Article Warning due to heavy Rainfall in the Neretva and Trebizat Basins
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Thousands protest in Zenica, the Fight for the Steelworks is a Matter of the Industry’s Survival
May 1, 2026
One Person killed in BiH’s Capital
May 1, 2026
RS Government Report: Schmidt labeled as Usurper, call for Respect for Dayton
May 1, 2026
Street Named After Dr. Dušanka Vujasić Solemnly Opened in Goražde
May 1, 2026
IRMCT Confirms Defense of War Criminal Ratko Mladic Files Urgent Motion for Release
May 1, 2026
Zenica Meeting Sends Clear Message: Urgent Implementation of FBiH Government Plan for New Steel Plant
May 1, 2026
A two-million-BAM Scandal is Looming in Banja Luka over Monument Construction
May 1, 2026
Today is May Day, the Holiday of Labor and the Struggle for Workers’ Rights
May 1, 2026
Increased Traffic Intensity, the heaviest Congestion at Border Crossings to the South
May 1, 2026
Nebojsa Vukanovic announces His Candidacy for the Member of BiH Presidency
May 1, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?