By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Japan Prepares to Restart the World’s Largest Nuclear Power Plant
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Japan Prepares to Restart the World’s Largest Nuclear Power Plant
WORLD NEWS

Japan Prepares to Restart the World’s Largest Nuclear Power Plant

Published: January 19, 2026
Share
SHARE

Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) has delayed the planned restart of Reactor 6 at the Kashiwazaki-Kariwanuclear power plant, the world’s largest, after an alarm malfunction occurred during equipment testing, Japan’s public broadcaster NHK reported.

The power plant located in Niigata Prefecture and covering anarea of 4.2 square kilometers, consists of seven reactors with a combined capacity of 8.2 gigawatts. It has been shut down since 2012 following the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster in 2011, The Guardian reported.

Tepco said that restarting the reactor would increase electricity supply in the Tokyo metropolitan area by approximately two percent. The Japanese government sees a return to nuclear energy as a key strategy for reducing emissions and strengthening energy security.

This move marks a milestone in Japan’s gradual return to nuclear power – a strategy the government claims will help the country meet its emissions reduction targets and enhance energy security.

However, for the approximately 420,000 people living within a 30-kilometre radius of the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant, who would be required to evacuate in the event of an accident similar to Fukushima, Tepco’s return to nuclear power raises serious concerns. Ryusuke Yoshida is also one of the residents whose home is located less than 2.5 km from the plant in the quiet village of Kariwa. When asked what worries him most about the restart, the 76-year-old simply answered: “Everything.”

The power plant, situated on the coast of the Sea of Japan in Niigata Prefecture, covering an area of 4.2 square kilometers, is the largest nuclear power facility in the world.

Local residents have voiced concerns over safety issues and inadequate evacuation plans. A survey conducted by the prefectural government found that more than 60 percent of residents living within 30 km of the plant believe that the necessary conditions for restarting the facility have not yet been met.

The plant was previously damaged during a magnitude 6.8 earthquake in July 2007, when the reactors were automatically shut down. Critics also warn about the presence of seismic faults in the area surrounding the facility, while several local officials note that it is impossible to guarantee absolute safety.

The restart of Kashiwazaki-Kariwa represents a milestone in Japan’s energy policy, but it has sparked strong opposition from local communities and raised broader questions about public trust in the nuclear industry.

Tepco says it has learned lessons from the Fukushima disaster and earlier this year promised to invest 100 billion yen in Niigata Prefecture over the next decade in an effort to gain local support.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg arrived in BiH
Sarajevo Canton Government Approves New Police Vehicles Procurement For Interior Ministry
‘Africa faces disproportionate Burden from climate Change’ WMO says
Man intentionally slams Truck into Crowd in New Orleans
BiH Working Group to Judson University: Milorad Dodik “No Example of Leadership or Democracy”
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Becirovic sends Letter of Condolences to King Felipe VI and Sánchez: Our Thoughts Are With the Families
Next Article Iconic Fashion Designer Valentino passes away
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Rome and Washington Back Landi for High Representative
May 20, 2026
Hasanovic demands a Public Apology from BiH Minister of Finance
May 20, 2026
ITA BiH: The new Gradiska Border Crossing has not been opened, but temporarily moved to another Location
May 20, 2026
Mechanism Prosecutor Brammertz Concludes Mission to Kigali
May 20, 2026
Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of BiH on an Official Visit to Turkey
May 20, 2026
Alkalaj: US will be much more active in the Process of selecting a new HR and the work of the OHR
May 20, 2026
Vice President of RS files Criminal Charges against Finance Minister
May 20, 2026
EU Delegation Condemns Amidzic’s Speech: Incendiary Statements Addressed to Zijad Krnjić and Bosniaks Unacceptable
May 20, 2026
World Cup Fever Grips BiH as Sticker Mania Unites Generations
May 20, 2026
Krnjic: Chauvinistic and Islamophobic Statements show Amidzic’s true Face
May 20, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?