By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: ‘Sarajevo is Multi-Ethnic’: Comments on the Sign about the Serbs who left the City
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > POLITICS > ‘Sarajevo is Multi-Ethnic’: Comments on the Sign about the Serbs who left the City
POLITICS

‘Sarajevo is Multi-Ethnic’: Comments on the Sign about the Serbs who left the City

Published: July 7, 2023
Share
SHARE

There are no official data on the number of Serbian citizens who left Sarajevo after the signing of the Dayton Agreement in 1995, which stopped the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH).

With the Dayton Peace Agreement, the former pre-war Sarajevo municipalities of Ilijas, Vogosca, Hadzici, Ilidza, Rajlovac, and Grbavica became part of the Federation of BiH (FBiH), and peripheral municipalities became part of another entity, Republika Srpska (RS).

The BiH Prosecutor’s Office received the case from the mayor of Sarajevo

The mayor of Sarajevo, Benjamina Karic, filed a criminal complaint against Ljubisa Cosic, the mayor of Istocno Sarajevo, for placing a sign on the entity demarcation line, near which there is also a sign dedicated to Ratko Mladic, convicted of war crimes and genocide in BiH. The complaint was filed, as she clarified on her Facebook profile, because of the spread of hatred.

In the criminal report, Karic stated, among other things, that this sign was placed in response to the sign placed at the entrance to the City of Sarajevo, which stated that Sarajevo was under siege for 1.425 days.

This fact was established by the Hague Tribunal in the judgments against former political and military officials of the RS.

Karic did not comment on her complaint, and the Prosecutor’s Office of BiH confirmed that they had received the case and that a prosecutor had been appointed in this case.

What does the mayor of Istocno Sarajevo say?

For the mayor of Istocno Sarajevo, Ljubisa Cosic, the sign about the expulsion of Serbs from Sarajevo is a “regular activity that includes the replacement of old signs at the entrance to Istocno Sarajevo”.

Cosic emphasized that the “welcome message posted on the sign” is a historical fact.

“I look at a sign “1.425 days under siege” and my residents say “look what they are doing, what nonsense” and I should be silent. Well, I won’t,” says Cosic, and adds that he has received dozens of emails of approval and support.

Citizens of Serbian nationality in Sarajevo were surprised by Cosic’s move

The family of Srdjan Srdic stayed in Sarajevo after the signing of the Dayton Peace Agreement. This 37-year-old emphasized that he considers the installation of this sign “scandalous”.

Rajko Zivkovic also lives in Sarajevo. During the war, he was the secretary of the Serbian Civic Council, a non-governmental organization that was formed during the war in Sarajevo.

“One hundred and fifty-seven thousand is a really big number, it’s actually a much smaller number of Serbs who left the Sarajevo area for Istocno Sarajevo. Why Cosic put up that sign and what he wanted to achieve with it, I don’t understand,” says Zivkovic, Slobodna Evropa reports.

E.Dz.

Cerimagic: Berlin is getting closer to the Position that electoral Reform should not start as long as Dodik is overthrowing the State
Dodik: Republika Srpska has no Intention of sharing Property with BiH
Cudic: RAK Director called for the Killing of critical thinking and Freedom of Speech
What could be the long-term Solution for BiH?
Take a look at how Politicians looked like 20 years ago (gallery)
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Why did McDonald’s close Restaurants in Bosnia and Herzegovina?
Next Article US Embassy: Dodik’s Move is an Attack on the State of BiH
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Ginkel: Energy Security is crucial for the Prosperity of BiH
May 21, 2026
The Directorate’s Delegation participates in the INTERPOL European Conference in Toledo
May 21, 2026
BiH Council of Ministers adopts the Budget
May 21, 2026
SDA to Amidzic: No Insults or Threats change the fact that you are parasitizing on a System you “do not recognize”
May 21, 2026
DCOM EUFOR meets with Deputy Chief of Joint Staff of the Armed Forces of BiH
May 21, 2026
Searches are underway at several Locations in Una Sana Canton
May 21, 2026
BiH opens Border Crossing, but also a Path to a new Crisis at the State Level
May 21, 2026
Livno Mayor received the Ambassador of the Netherlands to BiH
May 21, 2026
Schmidt: Bosnia and Herzegovina Must Decide Whether It Wants to Preserve or Undermine Its Future
May 21, 2026
The Process of Collecting Documentation on the Environmental Conditions in Vares has begun
May 21, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?