By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Syrian Army Takes Control Of Part Of Aleppo, Kurds Deny Defeat
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Syrian Army Takes Control Of Part Of Aleppo, Kurds Deny Defeat
WORLD NEWS

Syrian Army Takes Control Of Part Of Aleppo, Kurds Deny Defeat

Published: January 11, 2026
Share
SHARE

The Syrian army said on Saturday that it had searched the Sheikh Maqsoud district in Aleppo, signalling that it had taken control of the area by force from Kurdish fighters after a temporary ceasefire failed to end days-long clashes.

Violence in Syria’s second-largest city has deepened one of the country’s main divisions, as President Ahmed al-Sharaa seeks to unite Syria under a single authority after 14 years of war. Kurdish forces are sceptical of his Islamist-led government.

The previous week brought a ceasefire welcomed by the United States (U.S.) and other world powers, but Kurdish forces refused to leave their last stronghold in Sheikh Maqsoud in line with the agreement. The army said on Friday that it would carry out a ground operation to expel them.

Kurds deny defeat

Early on Saturday, the Syrian army claimed it had completed its search of the district, although some Kurdish fighters were still in concealed positions. Kurdish forces, in a written statement, denied that Sheikh Maqsoud had fallen and said they were still putting up resistance. Reuters journalists in the city did not hear the sounds of fighting.

End of Kurdish control in Aleppo, but not in the Northeast

The army’s takeover of Sheikh Maqsoud would mark the end of Kurdish control over the enclaves in Aleppo that they have held since the start of the war in 2011.

The Kurds still control large parts of northeastern Syria, where they administer a semi-autonomous zone. They have opposed integration into the new Syrian government, which is made up of former rebel fighters who removed longtime leader Bashar al-Assad in December 2024.

The clashes in Aleppo began on Tuesday after talks on integration reached a deadlock, leaving at least nine civilians dead and forcing more than 140.000 people to flee.

U.S. envoy Tom Barrack said on X that he had met with Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi in Amman to consolidate the ceasefire and ensure a “peaceful withdrawal of Kurdish forces from Aleppo.“

photo: archive

Police detains eight suspects with possible links to Brussels attacks
Unesco: Italian Opera Singing gets cultural Heritage Status
Leaders of the two strongest Parties: One is modest Pensioner, the other is unemployed
NATO Chief: We expect Dodik to simply accept Court Decisions
Chinese Respirators in Warehouses of Hospitals in BiH, usage Permit has expired
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article What is the Number of employed Persons in BiH last Year?
Next Article Saudi Money, Pakistani Nukes And Turkish Military Dominance: A “Muslim NATO” On The Horizon
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

EU Delegation Condemns Amidzic’s Speech: Incendiary Statements Addressed to Zijad Krnjić and Bosniaks Unacceptable
May 20, 2026
World Cup Fever Grips BiH as Sticker Mania Unites Generations
May 20, 2026
Krnjic: Chauvinistic and Islamophobic Statements show Amidzic’s true Face
May 20, 2026
Slovenian Journalists expose Network of Suspicious Transactions behind Viaduct Affair
May 20, 2026
Minister Amidzic after the Opening of the New Border Crossing: Political Victory of Republika Srpska
May 20, 2026
Preparations underway for the Signing of the Southern Interconnection Agreement in Washington
May 20, 2026
Why It Is Impossible to Change the BiH Constitutional Court without Changing the State Structure
May 20, 2026
Lucic: Croats Will Fight for Their Entity or Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia If Their Rights Aren’t Met
May 20, 2026
BiH opens New Border Crossing for all International Passenger and Goods Traffic
May 20, 2026
Inside the Royal Fortune: Who Makes the Most Money in the Royal Family?
May 19, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?