By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: The Recovery of the 18th-century Ship with the Treasure worth 17 Billion Dollars could begin soon
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > The Recovery of the 18th-century Ship with the Treasure worth 17 Billion Dollars could begin soon
WORLD NEWS

The Recovery of the 18th-century Ship with the Treasure worth 17 Billion Dollars could begin soon

Published: March 20, 2024
Share
Picture by English photographer Samuel Scott showing the sinking of the ship/photo of the guns from the ship
SHARE

Since the Colombian Navy discovered the final resting place of the Spanish galleon San Jose in 2015, its location has remained a state secret. The wreck, and its precious cargo, have remained deep in the waters of the Caribbean.

Efforts to preserve the ship and recover its valuable cargo have been caught up in a complicated series of international legal disputes, involving Colombia, Spain, Bolivian Indigenous groups, and a United States (U.S.) salvage company laying claim to the wreck, and the gold, silver, and emeralds on board estimated to be worth as much as 17 billion dollars.

But eight years after its discovery, officials now say they are pushing politics aside and could begin raising artifacts from the “holy grail of shipwrecks” as early as April.

“There has been this persistent view of the galleon as a treasure trove. We want to turn the page on that,” Alhena Caicedo, director of the Colombian Institute of Anthropology and History, said. “We aren’t thinking about treasure. We’re thinking about how to access the historical and archeological information at the site.”

The San Jose was returning to Europe with treasure to help finance the War of the Spanish Succession when it was sunk by a British squadron in 1708, near the Caribbean port city of Cartagena.

The San Jose’s cargo includes items made of glass, porcelain, and leather, and historians hope that this haul could help them understand the global trading networks of the 18th century, the complex Spanish colonial hierarchies, and the lives of the 600 souls on board.

“The contents are really diverse, and we have no idea how the remains will react when they come into contact with oxygen. We don’t even know if it’s possible to retrieve anything from the water,” said Caicedo.

The exact location of the wreck is a state secret to protect it from looters, but Colombian authorities have revealed that it lies 600 meters below sea level – too deep for divers to reach.

The country’s military is currently developing underwater robots that will first photograph, film, and map the wreck before attempting any careful retrieval, Klix.ba reports.

Photo ©️ Picture by English photographer Samuel Scott showing the sinking of the ship/photo of the guns from the ship

 

Houthis From Yemen Hit Ben Gurion Airport In Israel With A Rocket Attack
The U.S. and China expressed their Differences at the Sixth Meeting of Diplomacy Chiefs since Last Year
Trump orders comprehensive Investigation into Biden Administration
Tankers and Fuel Trucks have begun entering the Gaza Strip
Train collision in the Czech Republic: Four people died, dozens were injured
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article The Federation of BiH suffered damages exceeding one billion BAM due to Absence of Law on Forests
Next Article Niksic and Konakovic are optimistic about the Decision of the European Council on the opening of Negotiations with BiH
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

EUFOR ALTHEA and the Italian Red Cross Deliver IHL Course for the AFBiH
May 24, 2026
Who Will Be the New High Representative?
May 24, 2026
Sarajevo Pride Returns as Organizers Invite Citizens to Decorate Balconies with Rainbow Colors
May 23, 2026
More than 200 Oldtimers in Mostar at one of the largest Gatherings of its kind in Europe
May 23, 2026
Wearing Jersey of BiH at the World Cup is a privilege that Generations Dream about
May 23, 2026
BiH FM at the GLOBSEC Forum: Preserve the Full Role of the OHR as a Key Factor in the Protection of the Constitutional Order
May 23, 2026
The Cost of Sour Grapes
May 23, 2026
GSS Prenj founds a Person who went Missing Four Days ago
May 23, 2026
EUFOR Chief of Staff Hosts Netherlands Marechaussee Deputy Commander
May 23, 2026
BiH Ministry of Defense and the BiH Armed Forces participate at the 66th international Military-Police Pilgrimage
May 23, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?