By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Trump opened the Possibility that he will not protect NATO Allies
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Trump opened the Possibility that he will not protect NATO Allies
WORLD NEWS

Trump opened the Possibility that he will not protect NATO Allies

Published: February 11, 2024
Share
SHARE

The White House dismissed as “terrible and reckless” former US President Donald Trump’s announcement that he may not protect NATO allies from a potential Russian invasion.

Trump, recounting a meeting with NATO leaders during a political rally in South Carolina, quoted the president of a “big country”, whom he did not name, who asked him: “Well, sir, if we don’t pay and we get attacked again by Russia – will you protect us?”.

“I said: You didn’t pay? You missed it? He said, ‘Yeah, let’s say that happens’. No, I wouldn’t protect you. I would actually encourage them to do whatever they want. You have to pay,” Trump said.

White House spokesman Andrew Bates, when asked about Trump’s words, said that “encouraging the invasion of our closest allies by murderous regimes is appalling and reckless and threatens America’s national security, global stability and our economy.”

The North Atlantic Treaty contains a provision guaranteeing the mutual defense of member states in the event of an attack.

Trump, the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, was a fierce critic of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization during his time as president, repeatedly threatening to withdraw from the alliance. He cut NATO funding and often complained that the US was paying more than its fair share.

Bates said President Joe Biden, a Democrat seeking re-election in November’s presidential election, has renewed the US alliance after taking office in 2021, ensuring that NATO is now “bigger and more vital than it has ever been”.

“Instead of calling for wars and promoting chaos, President Biden will continue to strengthen American leadership and advocate for our national security interests, not against them,” he said in a statement released Saturday night.

With Trump leading Biden in some polls, European allies worry that a Trump victory in November could threaten US commitment to the alliance, but NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said last month that he did not think a second Trump presidency would threaten membership. Now.

Stoltenberg, who is pushing member states to increase defense spending, said European allies are increasing military contributions and “moving in the right direction.”

Trump continues to attack the transatlantic alliance, saying at a campaign rally last month that he did not believe NATO countries would support the US if attacked.

As for Russia’s war in Ukraine, Trump has called for de-escalation and complains about the billions spent so far, although he has put forward several policy proposals.

Since Moscow’s February 2022 invasion, US aid to Ukraine has totaled about $75 billion, Stoltenberg said, while other NATO members and partner countries have collectively provided more than $100 billion.

Ninety-four Journalists killed in 2023, says IFJ
Nobel Peace Prize Awarded To Iranian Activist Nargess Mohammadi
Second Round of Peace Talks between Russia and Ukraine concluded in Istanbul
Mensa BiH organizes Intelligence Tests
‘Oldest Cat in the World’ dies aged 33 as Owner pays Tribute to ‘quite a character’
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Muzaferija won the first Gold for BiH in Skiing
Next Article World Day of the Sick: Pope prays for Myanmar, Palestine, Israel and Ukraine
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2KFollowersLike
10.1KFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Italian Reserve Troops arrive by Sea in support of Exercise Quick Response 2026
August 22, 2026
BH Athletes in the Next Two Weeks in Taranto
August 22, 2026
Awards of the 32nd Sarajevo Film Festival presented
August 22, 2026
1.7 Million BAM worth Monument to be built in Banja Luka
August 21, 2026
The Cantonal Police Department has secured more than 40 Public Gatherings
August 21, 2026
Duma: I Never Wanted to Make a Film About the Community, but a Film With the Community
August 21, 2026
Helicopter of BiH AF once again extinguishes the Fire in the Area of Bosansko Grahovo
August 21, 2026
Genocide Victims respond to Vucic’s Request for Mladic’s Treatment
August 21, 2026
Solomun in front of the Eternal Fire Tonight!
August 21, 2026
French EUFOR Reserve Units Arrive in Bosnia and Herzegovina by Air and Road
August 21, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?