Archaeological excavations of the locality of Kalin Hajji Alija’s mosque in Sarajevo, which is located next to the National Theater Sarajevo, started yesterday, and an experienced team of 100 archaeologists and students, with the support of members of the Department of Archeology at the University of Sarajevo, will end this research by the end of September.
The National Museum already conducted research, but they did not present anything to the public, therefore, the research will be completed by the end of September, when the found remains will be preserved, stated the Director of the Waqf Directorate, Senaid Zajimovic.
The third phase is the arrangement of this park, which will be followed by the amendment to the urban plan that was initiated by the Municipality Centar in cooperation with the Planning Department of Sarajevo.
Mayor of the Municipality of Centar Nedzad Ajnadzic expressed his hope that this would be a good opportunity for archaeologists to start with more detailed research, but the Municipality and the Municipal Council are determined to arrange this space and to urbanize and present the real situation at this locality.
President of the Association of Archaeologists 1894 Adnan Muftarevic noted that this site has great importance, not only because it is located in a very core of the city and the current state represents a real disgrace for our community, but also because the mosque was one of the most representative ones in the Ottoman era.
Supervision of archaeological research will be conducted by the Institute for Protection of Cultural and Natural Heritage of the CS.