The building of the City Market in Sarajevo was built out of the need of citizens to put in one place the trade of groceries, which was intensified due to the construction of the railway station.
The project was made in 1894 under the title “Markthalle für Sarajevo”, from which the present name Markale originates. The building was completed one year later. Although the project author is unknown, the architectural solution for the façade reminds of other projects by Josip Vanzas. Conceptual designs are signed by August Butsch, but his activity in BIH does not imply to him in the capacity of the project designer.
The building was built in neo-renaissance style and as such represents one of the valuable achievements in that category. In the interior, the steel and wooden grid-like construction of the ceiling and a basement cooler represent a contemporary image of interior solutions. In the great hall there is a watch in the style of secession, which still exists.
At the beginning of the Austro-Hungarian rule in Bosnia, many business facilities were built, especially in Sarajevo in the area west from Baščaršija. The central city functions are moved towards the west and the emergence of the City railway at the location of the current Square of Liberation of ALija Izetbegović gave that place the importance of a live city center with many stores, especially those which sold meat, fruits and vegetables. Then the need appeared for a City Market where all the butchers and store owners from the streets Franje Josipa, Ferhadija, Ćemaluša ,Kujundžiluk and Predimaret would move.
The City Market was open on 1 November 1895 and until this day it has the same purpose.