By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Dangerous Announcement from Russia
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Dangerous Announcement from Russia
WORLD NEWS

Dangerous Announcement from Russia

Published September 4, 2024
Share
SHARE

Russia will change its doctrine on the use of nuclear weapons in response to what it sees as Western escalation in the war in Ukraine, state media quoted Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov as saying.

The existing nuclear doctrine, established by a decree of President Vladimir Putin in 2020, says that Russia can use nuclear weapons in the event of a nuclear attack by an enemy or a conventional attack that threatens the survival of the state.

Some hawks among Russian military analysts have called on Putin to lower the threshold for nuclear use in order to “sober” Russia’s enemies in the West.

Putin said in June that the nuclear doctrine is a “living instrument” that can change depending on world events. Ryabkov’s comments on Sunday were the clearest statement yet that changes will indeed come.

“The work is at an advanced stage and there is a clear intention to make corrections,” Ryabkov was quoted as saying by state news agency TASS.

He said the decision was “related to the course of escalation by our Western adversaries” regarding the conflict in Ukraine.

Moscow accuses the West of using Ukraine as a proxy to wage war against it, with the aim of inflicting a “strategic defeat” on Russia and breaking it up.

The United States (U.S.) and its allies deny this, saying they are helping Ukraine fend off a colonial-style war of aggression by Russia.

Putin said on the first day of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 that anyone who tried to prevent or threaten it would suffer “consequences you have never faced in your history”.

Since then, he has issued a series of further statements that the West considers a nuclear threat and announced the deployment of Russian tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus.

That hasn’t stopped the U.S. and its allies from ramping up military aid to Ukraine in ways unimaginable when the war began, including the delivery of tanks, long-range missiles and F-16 fighter jets.

President Volodymyr Zelensky said the operation was a mockery of Putin’s “red lines”. It also lobbies hard to allow the U.S. to use advanced Western weapons to attack targets deep inside Russia.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in an interview published on Sunday that the West was “going too far” and that Russia would do anything to protect its interests.

Ryabkov did not say when the updated nuclear doctrine would be finished.

“The time to complete this work is quite a difficult question, given that we are talking about the most important aspects of ensuring our national security,” he said.

Russia has more nuclear weapons than any other country. Putin said in March that Moscow was ready for a possible nuclear war “from a military-technical point of view.”

He said, however, that he saw no rush to nuclear conflict and that Russia had never faced the need to use nuclear weapons in Ukraine, Klix.ba writes.

Croatia achieved a record 108.7 Million overnight Stays in 2024

Montenegro extradites ‘Cryptocurrency King’ to the US

Analysis: Connections of the murdered Swedish Citizen Harris Osterdahl with other Criminals

Macron strikes back: Calls for Suspension of Investments in the US

FBiH co-finances Diaspora Investments in Returnees’ Places

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Vucic and Milatovic attracted Attention with a Discussion about the Language spoken in the Balkans
Next Article Maribor vs. Gravity: Wild Wings over the Drava River
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

More efficient Investigations in Agreement between BiH Prosecutor’s Office and FBiH Tax Administration
April 21, 2026
President of HDZ Party: A meaningful Conversation with the SNSD
April 21, 2026
Ban on Integrated Production begins at Zenica Steel Plant
April 21, 2026
130th Anniversary of Sarajevo City Hall to be marked with the Rich Programme
April 21, 2026
Partnership between Elektroprivreda BiH and the World Bank in the implementation of renewable Energy Projects
April 21, 2026
Sarajevo House Exhibition By Safet Zec Marks 130th Anniversary Of Sarajevo City Hall
April 21, 2026
Serbia Offers Guarantee For Ratko Mladic To Be Released For Treatment
April 21, 2026
Bogic Bogicevic’s Condition stable after Emergency Surgery in Sarajevo
April 21, 2026
The Paradox of the Labor Market: More than 240,000 unemployed, but there are not enough Workers
April 21, 2026
Delegations from the SNSD and HDZ BiH Meet Today
April 21, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?