By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: How Bosnian Nedzad Handzic survived a Massacre and helped prevent another
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > OUR FINDINGS > OTHER NEWS > How Bosnian Nedzad Handzic survived a Massacre and helped prevent another
OTHER NEWS

How Bosnian Nedzad Handzic survived a Massacre and helped prevent another

Published: March 26, 2020
Share
SHARE

 

by Tristan McConnell

In July 1995, Nedzad Handzic survived the Srebrenica genocide. More than 100 of his relatives, friends, and neighbors did not.

When Serbian troops descended on the Bosnian city, United Nations peacekeepers who had declared it a safe haven stood by as 8,000 people were killed. It was a dark, shameful episode in peacekeeping’s short history, and one the UN has endeavored not to repeat.

But this past December, 40-year-old Handzic felt like it was happening all over — in another conflict in another city on another continent.

On Dec. 15, he watched from inside the UN compound in Juba as terrified civilians, mostly women and children, began to throng the gates, hours after a fresh round of civil war had erupted.

“When it started happening, all the memories of Srebrenica, all the faces, came back to me,” said Handzic, a father of two. The career police officer has been part of UN peacekeeping forces in South Sudan since early 2012.

“I remember thinking, ‘What happened in Srebrenica must not be repeated here.’”

Handzic had been awakened earlier that morning by the sound of gunfire coming from the center of the capital.

It was 1 a.m. The shooting was sporadic at first, but by dawn, there was sustained gunfire all over town — some of it very close — and then the louder sounds of tanks and artillery. “Moment by moment shooting was growing, more and more,” said Handzic.

A lull in the middle of the afternoon gave civilians their chance: they grabbed their children and what few possessions they could carry and headed for the large UN base next to Juba’s airport, where they begged for protection.

At first they came in small family huddles. Then entire neighborhoods started showing up together, until there were more than 5,000 people gathered outside the UN gates.

“You could see on their faces that they were very scared. They were civilians, they were not part of the fighting,” Handzic said. “My opinion was: if we don’t open the gates these people will be killed.”

Handzic briefed his superiors. On his advice, a request was sent to headquarters in New York asking permission to open the gates to let the people in. Within two hours Handzic was at the western gate with a team of 16 UN police officers ordering it open.

“In that moment you could see they felt somehow that they were protected, they were safe now,” said Handzic.

 

(Source: globalpost.com)

Minister Jusko: Chinese Firms wish to finance and build Transport Infrastructure in BiH
Snow is a Forecast for Parts of BiH in the next Days
Residents of BiH drank Alcoholic Beverages in the Amount of 291 Million BAM!
How the Prosecutors rejected Numerous Reports for Denial of Genocide and glorification of Criminals
Renovation of Sarajevo Hotel “Zagreb” Began
TAGGED:#BiH#genocide#history#massacre#srebrenica
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Council of Europe sends Message of Solidarity and continues to pursue its Activities in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Next Article Over Three Thousand Workers lost Job in Bosnia and Herzegovina because of COVID-19 Pandemic
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

BiH Footballer Kerim Alajbegovic says Goodbye to Austrian Red Bull Salzburg
May 16, 2026
Podgorica and Belgrade exchange messages after Vucic’s Statement on Montenegro’s Independence Day
May 16, 2026
Budimir: We have the most prepared Police Agency in BiH
May 16, 2026
Construction of the New Mostar Airport Terminal Worth 1.5 Million Begins
May 16, 2026
He Was a Yugoslav Sports Legend, Now Facing Hard Times: “I Collect Bottles, I Am Not Ashamed”
May 16, 2026
New Adrenalin Attraction Overlooking the Neretva: Via Ferrata “Prenjska Vrata” for the Brave and Adventurous
May 16, 2026
A Major Turnaround in Pretis: Instead of Huge Profit – a Multi-Million Loss
May 16, 2026
Motorway Sections in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina to Open in 2026
May 16, 2026
Modest Economic Recovery: Can Bosnia and Herzegovina Sustain a Positive Trend?
May 16, 2026
“The CHALLENGE” Exhibition on Italian Sports Design Opens at the Olympic Museum Sarajevo
May 16, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?