By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Indictment expanded against ousted South Korean President
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Indictment expanded against ousted South Korean President
WORLD NEWS

Indictment expanded against ousted South Korean President

Published: July 19, 2025
Share
SHARE

The indictment against ousted South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol for abuse of power and declaring a state of emergency was expanded today, about three months after he was formally removed from office.

The additional charges mean Yoon will remain in custody as he faces trial for imposing a state of emergency in December that plunged South Korea into a serious political crisis. Yoon was returned to prison last week after a Seoul court granted an arrest warrant for him, requested by a team of investigators.

Yoon is accused of abuse of power because, according to prosecutors, he called on only select cabinet members to approve the declaration of a state of emergency, even though South Korean law requires the consent of all cabinet members for such a measure.

Investigators also said Yoon is accused of forging an official document in an attempt to fulfill the formal requirement for declaring a state of emergency – before destroying the document.

After declaring a state of emergency, Yoon sent the military and police into the opposition-controlled National Assembly, but enough lawmakers managed to enter the chamber and overturn his decree, forcing his cabinet to impeach him.

Yoon said his goal was to mobilize public support in a political fight against the main liberal opposition Democratic Party, which he said was blocking his reform agenda, dismissing senior officials, and cutting the government’s budget. He described the National Assembly as a “nest of criminals” and an “anti-state force.”

In January, prosecutors arrested him and charged him with sedition, a crime that carries the death penalty or life in prison if convicted. He was released from custody in March after a Seoul District Court judge overturned his arrest warrant.

In April, the Constitutional Court formally removed Yoon from office, calling for a snap election to replace him.

After winning the election, new President Lee Jae-myung, a former leader of the Democratic Party, approved a law to launch an independent investigation to clarify the details of the declaration of a state of emergency and to investigate other criminal charges involving his wife and the former administration.

Vucic held a ‘essentially important’ Meeting with Dodik in Belgrade
Last year’s Northern Hemisphere Summer was the hottest in 2,000 Years
At least 50 Palestinians were killed in Israeli Airstrikes
In 1994, Nixon warned Clinton about Ukraine, he also mentioned BiH
Serbian Media have long been using the Photo of Sabina Mujkic as an ‘illustration’ of the Crimes against the Serbs
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article U.S. General Claims NATO Has A Plan To Seize Russian Enclave In Europe
Next Article Zelensky Claims Russia Launched Over 300 Drones Into Ukraine
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Second Victim of the Shooting in Kiseljak dies
May 18, 2026
Exhibition “Erasmus Spain and BiH – a Journey of Culture and Creativity” opened
May 18, 2026
Gunman in Kiseljak Dies After Killing One and Seriously Injuring Another
May 18, 2026
EUFOR Commander Praises Irish Contribution to Peace and Stability in BiH
May 18, 2026
First comprehensive Cancer Prevention Research completed in BiH with EU Support
May 18, 2026
Nebojsa Vukanovic confirms His Candidacy for the Member of BiH Presidency
May 18, 2026
Members of the BiH Border Police prevent the Smuggling of 14 Foreign Citizens
May 18, 2026
Federal Police Administration arrests Four Persons in Sarajevo
May 18, 2026
Young Innovator Ahmed Guso wins First Place at international Competition in Indonesia
May 18, 2026
11 Mountain Peaks over 2,000 Meters, Eight “Mountain Eyes,” and 17 Icy Rivers and Streams in BiH
May 18, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?