By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Jajce Barracks: Administrative Blockage turns a Jewel into a dangerous Ruin
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > BUSINESS > Jajce Barracks: Administrative Blockage turns a Jewel into a dangerous Ruin
BUSINESS

Jajce Barracks: Administrative Blockage turns a Jewel into a dangerous Ruin

Published April 12, 2026
Share
©️033.ba
SHARE

The Jajce Barracks, instead of being a tourist gem, have become a danger to passers-by. Although the Federation Government gave the “green light” to transfer the Jajce Barracks to the Municipality of Stari Grad, the Federal Attorney’s Office pulled the key brake. While the administration remains silent, the building is falling into disrepair, and local authorities warn that every new day of waiting increases the risk of collapse.

The symbol of Vratnik and Sarajevo, the Jajce Barracks, has been abandoned to the ravages of time for years. Although the Government of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina has decided to transfer the building to the Municipality of Stari Grad, the implementation has stalled in the offices of the Federal Attorney’s Office. The legal knot has tied the hands of the local community, which has clear plans for reconstruction.

“I would very much like to see this resolved in the same way as the Faletići barracks were resolved. The Federation Government has made a decision and prepared a contract, but the FBiH Attorney General’s Office, which allowed hundreds of other municipalities, which previously allowed it to be transferred to the City, now simply does not want to sign it. Even though it is not state property, but military property with no prospects and it is known how it is being disposed of,” said Irfan Čengić, Mayor of the Stari Grad Municipality.

The Municipality says that the goal is not to sell, but to preserve the property through a lease model that would bring millions in investments, but also income to the federal budget.

“Our goal is to renovate the barracks, to keep them in military ownership with no prospects. The goal is not to sell or concession, but why not let a tenant renovate and invest 40 or 50 million, pay the Federation rent and renovate it for the citizens. The study we did showed that the best thing would be to have a five-star hotel there. That is the content that is missing, and something like an inclined elevator should be done,” adds Čengić.

And while the mayor points out the illogicality in the actions of the attorney general’s office, which approved similar contracts for other locations on the same day, the councilors in Stari Grad warn about the security aspect. The situation on the ground is alarming.

“We don’t know why this is happening. More than a year has passed since I launched the initiative, but for reasons known only to them, the Attorney General’s Office is not allowing it. I hereby invite them to, if nothing else, go and see where it is. I am sure that these people do not know what the barracks look like now. It is dangerous for the citizens of Vratnik, but also for the tourists who come here,” said Vedad Deljković, a councilor in the Stari Grad Municipal Council.

Ruined walls and falling facades are an everyday occurrence for residents of the surrounding streets. Every strong rain or wind means new fear for property and lives.

“We have a big problem, people park their cars nearby, the facade is collapsing and it is very dangerous. I hope this will be resolved quickly because we do not understand the reason. We just want to restore it and put it into operation as soon as possible. Let them give it to us for use, we are sure that we are able to restore it,” adds Deljković.

Although we sent a request to the Federal Attorney’s Office a few days ago, we have not received a response. The issue of the Jajce barracks thus remains trapped between the political will of the Government and the administrative “no” of the Attorney’s Office. While waiting for the signature that would set the machines in motion, the most beautiful view of Sarajevo remains obscured by scaffolding and warnings of danger.

New Requirements of Banks and the IMF

Urban Planning Approval for Tunnel Hranjen to be approved Next Week?

Bingo: We are continuing to expand, it is not true that Lidl is taking over

Bosnia and Herzegovina opens Borders for all Foreign Tourists Today

Minister Kosarac: Bosnia expected to export Milk to China soon

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Hungary Elections: Over 74% Voter Turnout Recorded by 5 PM
Next Article Trump again threatens to destroy Iran’s Energy Infrastructure
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Trusina: Without Justice, there is no true and lasting Reconciliation
April 16, 2026
President of the Federation signs Decree on Entry into Force of the Southern Interconnection Act
April 16, 2026
Admiral Dragone: NATO Partnerships Key To Global Security, Western Balkans Remains Strategic Priority
April 16, 2026
HVO Fighters killed 116 Bosniaks in Ahmici 33 Years ago: The youngest Victim was a Three-month-old Baby
April 16, 2026
Plan for Tram Link between Bascarsija and Vratnik
April 16, 2026
EUFOR Commander welcomes Austrian President to Camp Butmir
April 16, 2026
False Bomb Threat Reported at Alta Shopping Mall
April 16, 2026
Dodik Expresses Concerns about Alliance between Croatia, Albania, and Kosovo
April 16, 2026
Defense Minister: Procurement of Helicopters for the Armed Forces of BiH represents a historic Step Forward
April 16, 2026
The EU supports 279 Farmers from Areas affected by Floods in BiH
April 16, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?