By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Nehammer resigns as Austrian Chancellor
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Nehammer resigns as Austrian Chancellor
WORLD NEWS

Nehammer resigns as Austrian Chancellor

Published: January 4, 2025
Share
SHARE

The chairman of the Austrian People’s Party (ÖVP) and chancellor Karl Nehammer announced tonight that the coalition negotiations between his party and the Social Democratic Party of Austria (SPÖ) have definitely failed. He also announced his resignation from the leadership of the ÖVP and the position of chancellor.

“We have made every effort so far, but an agreement on key issues was not possible. In such circumstances, there is no point in continuing for the sake of a positive future for Austria,” Nehammer said in a short speech.

The SPÖ says that they extended a hand of cooperation until the last moment, but that the ÖVP has not shown a willingness to compromise. The main points of disagreement were related to budget consolidation, with the SPÖ insisting on property and inheritance taxes, which the ÖVP categorically rejected.

In his video message, Nehammer emphasized that destructive forces within the SPÖ are taking precedence, and that the ÖVP will not support programs that are, in his words, “hostile to the economy, competitiveness and jobs.” He added that he should be ready for compromises in negotiations, but not at the cost of citizens’ interests.

“I have always made it clear that I will not support taxes that harm our country. I have kept my word,” Nehammer stressed, adding that he is stepping down to allow for an orderly transition of power.

A meeting of all provincial ÖVP leaders is planned for Sunday morning, where further steps will be decided. Options include negotiations with the FPÖ or holding new elections.

This withdrawal comes after Neos, the third partner in the initial negotiations, left the coalition talks, further complicating the situation for the ÖVP and SPÖ, Klix.ba writes.

TimeOut Magazine has published a List of the 10 cheapest Cities in Europe
Borrell condemns Israeli Attack on northern Gaza that killed at least 100 Palestinians
Croatian civic initiatives fail to become referendum
“EUFOR is ready to assist SIPA in apprehending Dodik”
Surge in Novel Drugs Floods European Market, Alarming Health Officials
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Jones Cancels Sarajevo Visit as Trump Appoints New U.S. Ambassador
Next Article Bosnia and Herzegovina records a Decline in Exports
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Minister of Education, Science, Culture and Sports of USC arrested
May 21, 2026
Ginkel: Energy Security is crucial for the Prosperity of BiH
May 21, 2026
The Directorate’s Delegation participates in the INTERPOL European Conference in Toledo
May 21, 2026
BiH Council of Ministers adopts the Budget
May 21, 2026
SDA to Amidzic: No Insults or Threats change the fact that you are parasitizing on a System you “do not recognize”
May 21, 2026
DCOM EUFOR meets with Deputy Chief of Joint Staff of the Armed Forces of BiH
May 21, 2026
Searches are underway at several Locations in Una Sana Canton
May 21, 2026
BiH opens Border Crossing, but also a Path to a new Crisis at the State Level
May 21, 2026
Livno Mayor received the Ambassador of the Netherlands to BiH
May 21, 2026
Schmidt: Bosnia and Herzegovina Must Decide Whether It Wants to Preserve or Undermine Its Future
May 21, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?