By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Prosecution seeks higher Sentence for Dodik, Defense seeks Acquittal
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > POLITICS > Prosecution seeks higher Sentence for Dodik, Defense seeks Acquittal
POLITICS

Prosecution seeks higher Sentence for Dodik, Defense seeks Acquittal

Published June 12, 2025
Share
©️N1
SHARE

The Appellate Chamber of the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina has convened. On the agenda is the decision in the case against Milorad Dodik and Miloš Lukić. The defense of the accused requested the disqualification of two judges, the request was rejected as unfounded. The prosecution is seeking higher sentences and a conviction for Lukić, the defense said that the amendments to the Criminal Code passed by High Representative Christian Schmidt cannot be the legal basis for convictions.

The prosecution is seeking a longer prison sentence for Dodik, while they are seeking a conviction for Lukić. They believe that, in the case of Dodik, the court gave greater importance to mitigating circumstances than aggravating ones. They say that the court should have considered Dodik’s behavior during and after the trial as particularly aggravating circumstances. As for the second defendant, Lukić, they believe that the court incorrectly established the facts and that on July 7, 2023, he was appointed acting director of the Official Gazette of the RS, although he had not yet been entered in the court register.

“The first instance court should certainly have taken into account the fact of a legal institution that is very important when deciding on the type and amount of the criminal sanction to be imposed, which is the purpose of punishment as well as action in the field of special and general prevention, i.e., preventing the commission of criminal offenses,” said Gordana Bosiljčić, the prosecutor of the Prosecutor’s Office of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The defense of the accused particularly emphasized the events of July 7, 2023, appreciating that at the time of the publication of the disputed Laws in the Official Gazette of the RS, the amendments to the Criminal Code imposed by the High Representative Christian Schmidt were not yet in force.

“We claim that on July 7, 2023, we did not have the amended Law in force due to the principles of predictability and availability because the decision was imposed without any public debate and was not previously offered for adoption by the Parliamentary Assembly of Bosnia and Herzegovina, as was the practice of previous high representatives,” said Milorad Dodik’s lawyer Goran Bubić.

“This is a major test for the entire judiciary of Bosnia and Herzegovina, that is, very important questions will be answered about whether we respect the constitution, the law, general legal principles and whether we are legalists or not,” said Slavko Jandrić, Miloš Lukić’s lawyer.

Incidentally, the hearing was adjourned for almost three hours, because lawyer Bubić requested the disqualification of two members of the Trial Chamber, citing a violation of the Criminal Procedure Code. The request was rejected as unfounded.

“The request of the defense attorney of the accused Milorad Dodik, Goran Bubić, a lawyer from Banja Luka, for the disqualification of the members of the acting Appellate Chamber, namely Judge Vesna Jesenković in his capacity as the President of the Chamber and Judge Hilmo Vučinić in his capacity as a member of the Chamber, is rejected as unfounded,” said Vesna Jesenković, Chairwoman of the Appellate Chamber.

“We believe that this decision on the delegation is an important fact and in that sense that this request of ours made sense. But we also understand why the Court rejected it,” said Bubić.

There is now a thirty-day period in which the Appellate Chamber must issue a second-instance verdict. Recall that in the first instance, Milorad Dodik was sentenced to one year in prison and a six-year ban from holding the office of President of the Republika Srpska, while Miloš Lukić was acquitted of all charges, Federalna writes.

BiH and Italy confirmed their Readiness to intensify Cultural Exchange

The Judicial Community remains silent on Dodik’s new Attack on the Constitutional Court

Major Scandal Erupts in BiH Judiciary: Judges Caught Trying to Conceal Assets

Club of SDA Representatives demands Resignation of Government because of Secret Vaccination

Full Session of the Interreligious Council Held in BiH

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Montenegro Secures €80 Million in EU Funds for Employment, Social Inclusion
Next Article Ceremonial Celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the Embassy of BiH in Prague
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Suspect Arrested in Connection with Woman’s Murder in Sarajevo
May 1, 2026
Thousands protest in Zenica, the Fight for the Steelworks is a Matter of the Industry’s Survival
May 1, 2026
One Person killed in BiH’s Capital
May 1, 2026
RS Government Report: Schmidt labeled as Usurper, call for Respect for Dayton
May 1, 2026
Street Named After Dr. Dušanka Vujasić Solemnly Opened in Goražde
May 1, 2026
IRMCT Confirms Defense of War Criminal Ratko Mladic Files Urgent Motion for Release
May 1, 2026
Zenica Meeting Sends Clear Message: Urgent Implementation of FBiH Government Plan for New Steel Plant
May 1, 2026
A two-million-BAM Scandal is Looming in Banja Luka over Monument Construction
May 1, 2026
Today is May Day, the Holiday of Labor and the Struggle for Workers’ Rights
May 1, 2026
Increased Traffic Intensity, the heaviest Congestion at Border Crossings to the South
May 1, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?