By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Violence against Women and Children in Bosnia escalated during Curfew
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > OUR FINDINGS > OTHER NEWS > Violence against Women and Children in Bosnia escalated during Curfew
OTHER NEWSOUR FINDINGS

Violence against Women and Children in Bosnia escalated during Curfew

Published: April 23, 2021
Share
SHARE




The number of calls and reports of violence against women and children during the coronavirus pandemic increased by as much as 30 percent compared to 2019, and escalated considerably during curfew, said Natasa Kurtuma, head of the office at the Lara Foundation in Bijeljina.

Kurtuma explained that during the curfew, when restricted movement and violence escalated, women were imprisoned with bullies for longer.

She explained that the reports did not arrive intensively at the beginning of the pandemic, but after the abolition of curfew, and problems arose because some institutions did not work or had limited working hours, so they only received reports that they estimated were the most urgent.

“The victims then contacted us more, often via Facebook pages, Viber, email, phone because the victims were not able to come to the office in person,” said Kurtuma.

According to her, psychological and physical violence, as well as economic violence, continue to be recorded as forms of violence.

“The economic situation in most families deteriorated during the pandemic, which contributed to an increased incidence of violence,” Kurtuma said.

She noted that the Safe House and the Lara Foundation had been working throughout the pandemic and that, fortunately, none of them had tested positive for coronavirus, Srna news agency writes.

Since October 2000, the Foundation for Local Democracy has run the only Safe House – Shelter for Women and Children Victims of Domestic Violence in the Sarajevo Canton. The capacity of the Shelter is 35 people, and 2,098 victims of violence have been taken care of.

The number of victims of violence in family houses has increased by some 30% and the number of calls to our SOS line during the pandemic and isolation has tripled, Mubera Hodžic Lemes told BHRT. 

The main goal of the Shelter’s work is to provide physical protection and safety to victims, as well as psychosocial treatment in order to overcome traumatic experiences and reintegrate into the community. 

YOU ARE NOT GUILTY! YOU ARE NOT ALONE! THERE IS AN EXIT! 

You need to report the violence to the competent police, the center for social work or call us on the number 033 222 000. Unique four-digit number: FBiH 1265 and 1264 for RS 

Since 2002, the Shelter for Girls Victims of Sexual Violence, Incest, Rape, Domestic Violence and Other Forms of Violence has been launched within the Safe House. The shelter has a capacity for 10 girls aged 12 and over, citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The primary goal of the Shelter is to provide direct protection to girls, psychotherapeutic treatment for the purpose of rehabilitation and resocialization (continuing schooling, detraumatization and overcoming traumatic experiences, reintegration into social life).

Streets of Sarajevo full of Tourists despite extreme Temperatures
Great Day for Romani People in Zenica: Sixteen Families got Modern Apartments
On this day in 1992 the City Hall in Sarajevo was burned down
EU Studies Fair to be Held in February
Tough Times, good People
TAGGED:#BiH#violence#women
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Students from Bosnia won Eighteen Medals at International Competition
Next Article The RS Ministry of the Internal Affairs wants to procure heavy Weapons, the OHR says they must justify its Use
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Rome and Washington Back Landi for High Representative
May 20, 2026
Hasanovic demands a Public Apology from BiH Minister of Finance
May 20, 2026
ITA BiH: The new Gradiska Border Crossing has not been opened, but temporarily moved to another Location
May 20, 2026
Mechanism Prosecutor Brammertz Concludes Mission to Kigali
May 20, 2026
Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of BiH on an Official Visit to Turkey
May 20, 2026
Alkalaj: US will be much more active in the Process of selecting a new HR and the work of the OHR
May 20, 2026
Vice President of RS files Criminal Charges against Finance Minister
May 20, 2026
EU Delegation Condemns Amidzic’s Speech: Incendiary Statements Addressed to Zijad Krnjić and Bosniaks Unacceptable
May 20, 2026
World Cup Fever Grips BiH as Sticker Mania Unites Generations
May 20, 2026
Krnjic: Chauvinistic and Islamophobic Statements show Amidzic’s true Face
May 20, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?