[wzslider autoplay=”true”]Settlements at the place of today’s Bihać have existed since the Paleolithic Age, and the first mentioning of the toponym “Bihać” was recorded in a letter by the Hungarian king Bele IV in 1260.
Since it was strategically very important, this area experienced the renaissance during the Middle Ages, especially after the arrival of the Ottoman Empire. It was regarded as “the key of Bosnia” and considered to be the most important fortress in the entire Bosnian pashalik.
The status and significance of Bihać wasn’t weakened by the Austro-Hungarian occupation in 1878. The town had a hydropower plant, sewage and water supply network, as well as a modern concrete bridge.
Today, Bihać is one of the largest towns in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is located in the northwestern part of the country and it is still an important regional center and the administrational center of Una-Sana Canton.
Many would say that the Krajina Beauty is one of the most beautiful towns in our country, so we will let you enjoy the photo gallery of the postcards of this town, dating from the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century.