By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Former “Crypto King” sentenced to 25 Years in Prison for Multibillion-Dollar Fraud
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > Former “Crypto King” sentenced to 25 Years in Prison for Multibillion-Dollar Fraud
WORLD NEWS

Former “Crypto King” sentenced to 25 Years in Prison for Multibillion-Dollar Fraud

Published: April 1, 2024
Share
SHARE

Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder of the cryptocurrency exchange FTX, has been sentenced to 25 years in prison by the Federal Court in New York for organizing an 8 billion dollars fraud that led to the collapse of the cryptocurrency exchange. He was found guilty on seven counts of fraud and conspiracy.

The judge called Sam Bankman-Fried ruthless as he handed down the 25-year sentence. Before reading the sentence, Judge Lewis Kaplan stated that “this was a very serious crime.”

Kaplan stated that Bankman-Fried’s persistence and marketing abilities meant that it was “not a trivial risk” that he would commit wrongdoing again in the future. He said that although Bankman-Fried said the word “sorry,” he “never expressed remorse for committing heinous crimes.”

The prosecution asked the court to sentence Bankman to 40 to 50 years in prison, arguing that he “stole 8 billion dollars from investors.”

“I emphasize – stole, because it was not a liquidity crisis move, nor mismanagement, nor poor judgment by the company’s leadership. It wasn’t just a financial loss on paper,” concluded the prosecutor.

Defense attorneys sought to have the FTX founder spend a maximum of 6.5 years in prison, considering that he is non-violent and has no prior criminal record.

“A lot of people do feel let down, and they are let down: I am very sorry for that,” said Sam Bankman before the judge pronounced the sentence.

“I’m sorry for everything that happened at every stage. There were things I had to do and things I shouldn’t have done. The collapse of FTX haunts me every day,” he added.

At the end of the trial, Judge Kaplan assessed that Bankman Fried is “extremely intelligent and suffers from autism.” He simultaneously agreed with the prosecution that the creator of FTX “wanted to be very, very influential politically in the country,” which drove him to crime.

FTX, which was among the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchanges, filed for bankruptcy protection on November 11th last year after traders withdrew 6 billion dollars from the platform in three days, and the competing exchange Binance backed out of a rescue deal.

The liquidity crisis occurred after Bankman-Fried secretly moved 10 billion dollars in FTX client funds to his other company, Alameda Research. At least a billion dollars of client funds went missing.

In a series of interviews and public statements in late November and December, Bankman-Fried admitted to management failures but attempted to distance himself from fraud allegations, saying he never knowingly commingled client funds on FTX with funds in his trading firm, Alameda Research, Klix.ba reports.

E.Dz.

Czech Prime Minister says that the Shooting in Prague had no Connection with Terrorism
Serwer: Zagreb and Belgrade want Group Rights to prevail over individual
Four Helicopters are extinguishing the Fire in the Sutjeska National Park
The US Government calls on Kosovo to reconsider the Decision on the Suspension of the Dinar in Payment Transactions
Day of Remembrance of the Serbs who died in the ‘Storm Operation’
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Here is a List of the most expensive used Cars sold in BiH
Next Article An unknown Person has thrown a Bomb in front of House of the Old Town Municipality Mayor
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Schmidt: Bosnia and Herzegovina Must Decide Whether It Wants to Preserve or Undermine Its Future
May 21, 2026
The Process of Collecting Documentation on the Environmental Conditions in Vares has begun
May 21, 2026
Swedish Embassy launches Project for Young first-time Voters
May 21, 2026
COM EUFOR Major General Maurizio Fronda meets with the Head of the Islamic Community in BiH
May 21, 2026
Political Blockades Stall BiH: About One Billion Euros from the EU Still Unavailable
May 21, 2026
Rome and Washington Back Landi for High Representative
May 20, 2026
Hasanovic demands a Public Apology from BiH Minister of Finance
May 20, 2026
ITA BiH: The new Gradiska Border Crossing has not been opened, but temporarily moved to another Location
May 20, 2026
Mechanism Prosecutor Brammertz Concludes Mission to Kigali
May 20, 2026
Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of BiH on an Official Visit to Turkey
May 20, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?