By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Marking of 26 Years since the Crime in Pionirska Street
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > OUR FINDINGS > OTHER NEWS > Marking of 26 Years since the Crime in Pionirska Street
OTHER NEWS

Marking of 26 Years since the Crime in Pionirska Street

Published: June 27, 2018
Share
SHARE

“The flames were licking the ceiling, the fire spread to the clothes, the people were crying and screaming,” said the protected witness VG 13, who testified in The Hague in the case of Pionirska Street in 2001.

Then the two prisoners jumped out the window of the burning house, and after them the witness’s son did the same. While Mitar Vasiljevic was lighting the space around the house and Milan Lukic shooting after fugitives, witness VG 13 jumped through one of the windows as well.

“I decided that I’d rather to be killed, than burned alive,” she said.

During the escape, she was hit in the left shoulder, while she received a gunshot wound in the area of the left knee earlier in the house itself. However, she managed to escape down the nearby stream and hid on the 50 meters from the crime scene. At this place, in the water, she sat for two hours, watching the live flames and listening to the screams of the victims. The last thing she heard were the words of a ten-year old girl Halida Kurspahic: “Mom, do not let me.”

During the next three days, VG 13 was hiding in a nearby sewer. The wounds on her left arm and leg were completely covered with warms. However, she managed to reach the village of Kosovo Polje, where she received improvised aid.

The youngest victim was only two days old. She was burned alive in her mother’s arms. Together with another 70 Bosniaks from Visegrad, they were detained in the house of the late Adem Omeragic, which is now owned by his daughter Sumbula Zeba, in Pionirska Street in Visegrad, where they were burned alive. Today, 24 years after this terrifying crime in Pionirska Street, members of the families of the victims and some of the survivors will gather in order to pay the tribute to the innocent victims.

With the protest walk to the house called ‘living pyre’, they will express their dissatisfaction with the fact that criminals, and many other citizens of Visegrad, their former Serb neighbors, do not want to say where are the bones of victims to their families, in order to bury them 24 years later. In the place where a total of 72 Bosniaks (babies, children, women, men, and elderly) were burned alive, will be laid flowers and recited Fatiha.

For the crime in the Pionirska Street, Milan Lukic was sentenced to life imprisonment with the second instance verdict in The Hague Tribunal, and Sredoje Lukic to 27 years in prison. Bakira Hasecic, the President of the “Women Victims of War” expressed the hope that another criminal responsible for “living pyre’ Radomir Susnjar, will be finally extradited from France to BiH to be trialed.

What Percentage of Economic Growth is foreseen for BiH in the Year of 2018?
Twelve Million BAM to be allocated for Renovation of Government Buildings
What was the Amount of the Total Foreign Investment in BiH in 2016?
OSCE Media and Terrorism Conference takes Place in Sarajevo
Borrell: “Peace and Democracy require Defeating Putin’s Industry of Lies”
TAGGED:#agression#BiH#bikavac#bosniaks#livingpyre#victims#visegrad#war
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Council Conclusions on Enlargement and Stabilisation and Association Process in BiH
Next Article Hasecic and Hartmann: Extradition of Susnjar is a Step towards Justice
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Rome and Washington Back Landi for High Representative
May 20, 2026
Hasanovic demands a Public Apology from BiH Minister of Finance
May 20, 2026
ITA BiH: The new Gradiska Border Crossing has not been opened, but temporarily moved to another Location
May 20, 2026
Mechanism Prosecutor Brammertz Concludes Mission to Kigali
May 20, 2026
Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of BiH on an Official Visit to Turkey
May 20, 2026
Alkalaj: US will be much more active in the Process of selecting a new HR and the work of the OHR
May 20, 2026
Vice President of RS files Criminal Charges against Finance Minister
May 20, 2026
EU Delegation Condemns Amidzic’s Speech: Incendiary Statements Addressed to Zijad Krnjić and Bosniaks Unacceptable
May 20, 2026
World Cup Fever Grips BiH as Sticker Mania Unites Generations
May 20, 2026
Krnjic: Chauvinistic and Islamophobic Statements show Amidzic’s true Face
May 20, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?