By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: The End of the Balkan Route?
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > The End of the Balkan Route?
WORLD NEWS

The End of the Balkan Route?

Published: February 12, 2023
Share
SHARE

According to the European Union (EU) data, the number of migrants on the Balkan route was halved in January compared to the previous month. One of the reasons is the alignment of Serbia with the visa policy of the EU, which has already been reflected in the number of migrants in BiH.

When the northwestern part of Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) became the center of the Balkan route five years ago, most migrants came from Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran. From about ten thousand of them who were present in BiH two years ago, today there are less than three thousand, according to the data of the Service for Affairs with Foreigners of BiH, which has fully taken over the jurisdiction over migrants. They were placed in camps Blazuj and Usivak in Sarajevo, and two in the Una-Sana canton (USC), Borici and Lipa. From several thousand of them who were there a few years ago, who, due to catastrophic conditions, set fire to the camp where they were staying and were then transferred by bus to Sarajevo, today there are 150 of them.

New data from the EU show that the number of migrants on the Balkan route halved in January compared to the previous month and that this is no accident. At the end of last year, after pressure from Brussels, Serbia abolished the visa-free regime for several countries from which a large number of migrants arrived via this route. Among them are Tunisia and Burundi, and further harmonization of the visa regime with EU countries is planned.

The media reports the statement of European Commissioner for Internal Affairs Ilva Johansson, who in the European Parliament confirmed the declining trend in the number of migrants in December, stating that even then the number of illegal crossings through the Balkans was reduced by 30 percent.

Obligation on everyone

As for BiH, the Ministry of Security took over the entire supervision of the issue of migrant centers together with the Service for Affairs with Foreigners two years ago. The government in the USC, which was the most affected, will not take all the burden on itself again.

“We complied with all agreements on closing ad hoc centers, such as Vucjak. We gave the location where the temporary reception center was built. But we cannot carry this burden alone. It must be evenly distributed across BiH”, says Mustafa Ruznic, USC Prime Minister in technical mandate.

As for the citizens of this canton, it seems to them that there are fewer migrants. They don’t even want to hear about a possible repetition of the situation from two years ago.

“Oh no. They are all gone. The small number that is left, it’s as if they’re not there,” says one citizen. “I do not believe that the situation of two years ago and those problems can be repeated. I see that there are almost none of them in the city,” says another. “I guess there is someone smart enough to know what to do if the number of migrants accidentally increases. But since we are short-witted, it’s difficult,” says one interlocutor.

NASA moves ahead with mission to build high-speed space “Internet”
Iranians Release Footage Of New Ballistic Missile, Defense Minister Sends Clear Message To Israel And The U.S.
Trump on possible US Attacks on Iran: I might do it. Maybe I won’t
War Criminal Ratko Mladic Suffers Stroke While Serving Life Sentence
Vucic: The World Is Entering the Second Half – Let’s Hope It Doesn’t Play Out in the Balkans
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article How religious are the Citizens of BiH?
Next Article Sarajevo is the City with the most polluted Air in the World Today!
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Rome and Washington Back Landi for High Representative
May 20, 2026
Hasanovic demands a Public Apology from BiH Minister of Finance
May 20, 2026
ITA BiH: The new Gradiska Border Crossing has not been opened, but temporarily moved to another Location
May 20, 2026
Mechanism Prosecutor Brammertz Concludes Mission to Kigali
May 20, 2026
Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of BiH on an Official Visit to Turkey
May 20, 2026
Alkalaj: US will be much more active in the Process of selecting a new HR and the work of the OHR
May 20, 2026
Vice President of RS files Criminal Charges against Finance Minister
May 20, 2026
EU Delegation Condemns Amidzic’s Speech: Incendiary Statements Addressed to Zijad Krnjić and Bosniaks Unacceptable
May 20, 2026
World Cup Fever Grips BiH as Sticker Mania Unites Generations
May 20, 2026
Krnjic: Chauvinistic and Islamophobic Statements show Amidzic’s true Face
May 20, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?