By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: U.S. Navy Chief on Iran’s Power: They rule from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > U.S. Navy Chief on Iran’s Power: They rule from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean
WORLD NEWS

U.S. Navy Chief on Iran’s Power: They rule from the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean

Published: January 23, 2024
Share
SHARE

Iran is “very directly involved” in the attacks on ships carried out by Yemen’s Houthi rebels, the United States (U.S.) Navy’s top Mideast commander said on Monday.

Vice Admiral Brad Cooper, commander of the Navy’s 5th Fleet, did not say that Tehran directed individual attacks in the Red Sea. However, Cooper acknowledged that Iran-linked attacks have expanded from threatening only the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz to waters across the Middle East.

“Clearly the Houthi actions are the most significant we have seen in two generations. The facts are simply that they are attacking the international community; therefore, I think you have seen an international response,” he said in an interview.

Iran’s mission to the United Nations (UN) did not respond to a request for comment on Cooper’s remarks. Houthi leadership in Yemen’s capital, Sana’a, could not be reached.

When Cooper took command of the 5th Fleet in 2021, the threat to shipping focused primarily around the Persian Gulf and its narrow entrance, the Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of all oil trade passes.

In an interview, the Navy commander acknowledged Iran’s supremacy of sorts, saying that the “threat exists” from the Red Sea to the far reaches of the Indian Ocean. The U.S. has blamed Iran for recent drone attacks on ships, and a U.S.-owned cargo ship was attacked in the Gulf of Aden last week.

So far, Iran has not been directly involved in the fight against Israel or the U.S. since the beginning of the Gaza war on October 7th. However, Cooper claims that Iran directly encouraged the Houthi attacks on the ships.

“What I will say is that Iran is clearly funding, resourcing, supplying, and training. They are clearly very directly involved. There is no secret,” Cooper said.

U.S. forces this month seized Iranian-made missile parts and other weapons from a ship sailing for the Houthis in a raid that left two Navy SEALs missing.

Cooper’s command is scheduled to end in February with the arrival of Rear Admiral George Wikoff in Bahrain. He noted that the Navy and merchant shippers still face a serious threat from the Houthis as he prepares to depart.

”What we need is a Houthi decision to stop attacking international merchant ships. Period,” Cooper concluded, Klix.ba reports.

 

E.Dz.

Croatia adopts plan to increases quota for foreign workers in 2019
China’s Investments in Serbia reached 5.5 billion Euros
OSCE: Human Rights Violations must end and Humanitarian Law be respected
Heat wave in Brazil, Air Temperature reached 52 Degrees Celsius
BiH Officials express Condolences over the attack on the Zagreb Elementary School
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Cameras on Police Uniforms in Sarajevo – Transparency or Violation of Privacy?
Next Article Von der Leyen: We see BiH in the EU as a single, indivisible and sovereign State
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Trade Unions demand urgent Adoption of Law on Emergency Administration in New Steelwork Zenica
May 24, 2026
Fifteen BiH National Team Players had their First training Session in Butmir
May 24, 2026
EUFOR ALTHEA and the Italian Red Cross Deliver IHL Course for the AFBiH
May 24, 2026
Who Will Be the New High Representative?
May 24, 2026
Sarajevo Pride Returns as Organizers Invite Citizens to Decorate Balconies with Rainbow Colors
May 23, 2026
More than 200 Oldtimers in Mostar at one of the largest Gatherings of its kind in Europe
May 23, 2026
Wearing Jersey of BiH at the World Cup is a privilege that Generations Dream about
May 23, 2026
BiH FM at the GLOBSEC Forum: Preserve the Full Role of the OHR as a Key Factor in the Protection of the Constitutional Order
May 23, 2026
The Cost of Sour Grapes
May 23, 2026
GSS Prenj founds a Person who went Missing Four Days ago
May 23, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?