Sarajevo, especially its old part, has always been interesting for tourists from around the world. The website The Epoch Times published a story about Sarajevo and ten reasons to visit this city.
Muslim and Christian architecture intertwine in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The capital Sarajevo is a cultural center of the Balkans and it is abundant with religious and cultural diversity. Muslims, Orthodox Christians, Christians and Jews have lived together in this city for centuries, which is why Sarajevo is called the Jerusalem of Europe.
Baščaršija is the old part of Sarajevo, historical and cultural center of the city. It was built in the 15th century. Baščaršija is located on the northern bank of the Miljacka River in the Municipality of Stari Grad Sarajevo. There are several important historical facilities here. Nowadays it is the main tourist attraction of Sarajevo, with the oldest streets in Sarajevo full of craft shops. On Baščaršija you can eat ćevapi and baklava and drink Turkish coffee.
Sebilj is a wooden fountain built in pseudo-Ottoman style in the center of Baščaršija by the Bosnia vizier Mehmed-Pasha Kukavica in 1753. That Sebilj was built at a slightly different location than the current one and it was turned into ashes in the fire in 1852. It was relocated in 1891. This part of Baščaršija is also often called “the square of pigeons”.
The Sarajevo roses are symbolical locations or traces in concrete made during the explosions of shells during the aggression on Bosnia and Herzegovina. Each shell that exploded on the road or a concrete path left craters in the shape of flowers, which were filled with red color after the war – as memorials to the suffering.
The City Hall in Sarajevo is located near Baščašija and represents one of the most beautiful and most representative facility from the Austro-Hungarian period built in pseudo-Moorish style.
Gazi Husrev-Bey’s Mosque, also known as the Bey’s Mosque, was built in 1530 in Sarajevo and is considered one of the most important mosques in B&H and in the Balkans.
The Sarajevo war tunnel was made during the siege of Sarajevo, in 1993. It was built under the airport runway and connected two territories ruled by the Army of the Republic of B&H (Dobrinja and Butmir), thus the tunnel was also called “Tunnel D-B”.