By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: BiH Prosecutor’s Office is asking long-term Imprisonment for Eleven Former Members of the Army of RS
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > BiH Prosecutor’s Office is asking long-term Imprisonment for Eleven Former Members of the Army of RS
WORLD NEWS

BiH Prosecutor’s Office is asking long-term Imprisonment for Eleven Former Members of the Army of RS

Published: July 26, 2023
Share
SHARE

The Prosecutor’s Office of Bosnia and Herzegovina requested long-term prison sentences for 11 former members of the military and police forces of Republika Srpska, accused of crimes against humanity in Bosanski Novi in 1992.

In its closing statement, the prosecution assessed that it had proved that Ranko Balaban, Rajko Karlica, Milenko Brčin, Mirko Odžić, Milenko Babić, Ratko Goronja, Nikola Reljić, Dragan Baltić, Ranko Baltić, Miroslav Kapetanović and Ranko Grab participated in the murder of 24 people, as and the forced relocation of the Bosniak population from the villages of Alići and Ekići.

“You heard the eyewitnesses – the victims of what happened on June 22, 1992 and the eyewitnesses who participated in the commission of the crime with the accused,” said prosecutor Eldina Biuk.

She pointed to the testimonies of Dragan Balaban and Stojan and Zoran Kenjal, who were previously sentenced to seven and five years in prison after a plea agreement with the Prosecutor’s Office.

“Those witnesses were ready to confess publicly, they came and told the truth,” Biuk said, adding that there is no doubt in their statements because they are supported by other evidence.

The prosecutor stated that the Bosniak population lived in Alići and Ekići with promises from their Serbian neighbors that nothing would happen to them, even though other Bosniaks had left the Japra valley. She said that after the funeral of a Serbian soldier, they started discussing the expulsion of Bosniaks from Alić and Ekić.

Biuk stated that all the accused came to the gathering place, and that they chased out all the locals from Alić and Ekić and took them to the Orthodox cemetery, which was witnessed by Balaban and Kenjala, as well as the women of the village.

The witnesses, she added, spoke about men being mistreated and women and children being taken away in trucks.

“The injured witnesses said that all the men stayed at the cemetery and that they have never seen them since then,” Biuk reminded.

She added that Dragan Balaban and Stojan and Zoran Kenjalo told how the accused, who were accompanied by women and children, returned and how the men were taken to the Muslim cemetery and ordered to dig up the grave, and Milenko Karlica ordered them to stop.

“Everyone was shooting. They killed 24 civilians,” said Biuk, recalling witness statements.

She added that the three former comrades-in-arms who were accused later took part in moving the bodies and throwing them into the Japra river. She stated that only parts of the remains were found in the cemetery and at the mouth of the river.

The prosecutor rejected the claims of the Defense that Balaban and Kenjala and some other persons, who have since passed away, participated in the murders, and that the accused came that day to help in the execution of civilians. According to her, such theses are illogical and contradictory.

Biuk asked for long-term prison sentences due to the severity and manner of the crime, the fact that it involved neighbors who knew each other and the throwing of bodies into the river, as well as the family members who lost their loved ones.

The closing arguments of the defense are planned for August 30, reports BIRN.

Putin officially signed a Decree: All Foreign Fighters will receive Russian Citizenship
A Young Man tries to explain to People that he is neither a Bosniak nor a Bosnian
Covic Hosts Thompson after Controversial Concert That Sparked Widespread Condemnation
Blinken asks Netanyahu for Humanitarian Breaks during the War with Hamas
Russia accused the West of pushing the Middle East to the Brink of a “Big War”
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Lana Pudar with the best Time made it to the Finals in the 200 Meters at the World Championship!
Next Article The Miners have no intention of leaving the Pit, an urgent Solution is needed
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

BiH FM spoke with the US Congressional Delegation
May 24, 2026
EES brought up to 10 hours-long Waits at the Borders of BiH and the EU
May 24, 2026
Trade Unions demand urgent Adoption of Law on Emergency Administration in New Steelwork Zenica
May 24, 2026
Fifteen BiH National Team Players had their First training Session in Butmir
May 24, 2026
EUFOR ALTHEA and the Italian Red Cross Deliver IHL Course for the AFBiH
May 24, 2026
Who Will Be the New High Representative?
May 24, 2026
Sarajevo Pride Returns as Organizers Invite Citizens to Decorate Balconies with Rainbow Colors
May 23, 2026
More than 200 Oldtimers in Mostar at one of the largest Gatherings of its kind in Europe
May 23, 2026
Wearing Jersey of BiH at the World Cup is a privilege that Generations Dream about
May 23, 2026
BiH FM at the GLOBSEC Forum: Preserve the Full Role of the OHR as a Key Factor in the Protection of the Constitutional Order
May 23, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?