By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: What is the Number of Persons still missing from Srebrenica Area?
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > OUR FINDINGS > OTHER NEWS > What is the Number of Persons still missing from Srebrenica Area?
OTHER NEWS

What is the Number of Persons still missing from Srebrenica Area?

Published: January 12, 2020
Share
SHARE

 

Twenty-four years after the Srebrenica Genocide, it is essential to continue efforts to account for those who are still missing and to bring those who were responsible to justice, International Commission on Missing persons (ICMP) Director-General Kathryne Bomberger said today.

ICMP scientific data concerning persons missing from the fall of Srebrenica has been admitted in evidence at trials before the ICTY and courts in Bosnia and Herzegovina. To date, 20 individuals have been tried at the ICTY for crimes related to Srebrenica. Of these, 15 have been convicted. The BIH State Court has put 56 individuals on trial for crimes related to Srebrenica of whom 37 have been convicted.

For more than two decades, ICMP has led the effort to account for those who went missing during the conflict and to uphold the rights of families of the missing, regardless of national, ethnic or religious affiliation.

Convicting those responsible for war crimes is an essential element in upholding the rule of law. Ensuring that governments fulfil their legal obligations to account for those who are missing as a result of these crimes and to secure the rights of all surviving families of the missing is an important element in the same process.

“Upholding a transparent and truthful account of what happened is essential for peace,” Director-General Bomberger said.

“ICMP supports the continuing demand of the families of the missing for truth and justice. The effort to account for those who went missing at Srebrenica and throughout the former Yugoslavia is an essential element in reinstating the rule of law.”

“A historical record based on scientific fact reduces the scope for unscrupulous leaders to exploit popular fears and popular resentments,” Ms Bomberger said, adding that governments and political authorities must continue to work together to resolve the remaining missing persons cases and to ensure that reliable and accurate information is provided to families and the public.

ICMP’s Western Balkans program will continue to assist in locating the approximately 1,000 persons still missing from the Srebrenica genocide and the 12,000 persons who are still missing in the region. At last week’s 6th Berlin Process Summit in Poznan, Poland, the leaders of the Western Balkans reconfirmed their commitment to account for those who are still missing. Conference participants commended the signing of a Framework Plan, in November 2018 at ICMP’s Headquarters in The Hague, by representatives of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia, formally undertaking to work together as the regional Missing Persons Group. Participants in Poznan welcomed the progress that has been made in implementing the plan.

Two Million protective Masks sent by Malaysia to arrive to Sarajevo on Wednesday
Interesting: Seven Cars collided on a Parking in Lukavica due to Snow
Multi-million Support for socially endangered War Veterans in the FBiH approved
British Embassy in BiH and EUFOR Organizing A Reception in Banja Luka
First Drone Race held in Mostar 
TAGGED:#BiH#genocide#ICMP#srebrenica
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Delegation of Football Federation met with Edin Dzeko in Rome
Next Article Deputy Minister of Foreign Trade and Economic Relations of BiH attends 10th Assembly of the International Renewable Energy Agency
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

CoM and ITA Board of Directors did not support the Temporary Opening of the new Gradiska Border Crossing
May 19, 2026
You Attend, Support, and Stay Longer than Planned: New OREA Art Market Scheduled for June 14
May 19, 2026
Bicakcic: The Political Situation is Fragmented, We Need Integration
May 19, 2026
Visca: NATO must transform, but BiH still has no clear Answer on whether it wants Membership
May 19, 2026
First robotic-assisted Surgeries successfully performed at KCUS
May 19, 2026
Magazinovic initiates Discussion on Femicide: We cannot say it does not concern us
May 19, 2026
Konakovic and Doughty discussed Bilateral Relations between BiH and the United Kingdom
May 19, 2026
BiH among Nineteen Countries in Europol’s Action
May 19, 2026
Contract worth 74 Million BAM signed for the Procurement of new Technologies for Elections in BiH
May 19, 2026
President of the Federation of BiH spoke with the Chargé d’Affaires of the United States Embassy
May 19, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?