By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: More than 5,300 dead in Floods in Libya, Officials say there could be twice as many
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > WORLD NEWS > More than 5,300 dead in Floods in Libya, Officials say there could be twice as many
WORLD NEWS

More than 5,300 dead in Floods in Libya, Officials say there could be twice as many

Published: September 13, 2023
Share
SHARE

The city of Derna, about 250 km east of Benghazi, is surrounded by the hills of the fertile Jabal Akdar region. Experts in water engineering told the BBC that a dam about 12 km from Derna probably broke first, so the water flowed down the valley.

The torrents also overcame the second dam, closer to the city.

Authorities in eastern Libya have returned the bodies of 145 Egyptians who died in floods after Storm Daniel.

They were picked up by the local coast guard after the sea washed them out of Derna.

In accordance with Islamic rites, they were taken to a mosque in the port city of Tobruk for purification before returning home.

Many Egyptians live and work across the border in Libya – mostly in the east. The Egyptian media Al Aram estimates that there are 140,000 of them, making them the second largest group of migrants in Libya.

Hicema Abu Cikuta, an official from eastern Libya, says there are more.

He told the Reuters news agency that “the sea is constantly throwing out tens of bodies”, adding that rebuilding the city would cost billions of dollars.

More than 5,300 bodies have been counted so far in the flood-hit city of Derna in Libya, the aforementioned official told the Reuters news agency.

Cikuta, who is the minister of civil aviation, says the death toll is expected to rise and could even double.

They also heard some disturbing descriptions of the situation in Libya from Jor Ali, a Libyan journalist whose family is in the country.

He is currently in Istanbul for work, and told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “Everyone says it’s like doomsday. Children screaming, dead bodies in the streets.”

He explains that he spoke to a family that was the only flood survivor in their neighborhood.

“They described the situation when the flood passed, they say that the woman was hanging from the street light because she was swept away by the flood.

“She stayed there and died there. They witnessed it, they witnessed their nephew dead in the street, how the water threw him.”

People say the amount of water is indescribable, says Ali.

“Tens of thousands are either dead or underground. The water took the soil from under them and threw them into the sea.”

Search and rescue operations continue in Libya in hopes of finding survivors.

Israel bombed Palestinians trying to evacuate from Northern Gaza
Trump Announces 90-Day Tariff Pause Globally, But Escalates Tariffs on China
Croatian government proposes new tax cut
Six Golden Lilies: How Bosnia and Herzegovina got its Flag with Lilies
In Three Years by Highway from Sarajevo to Sava
TAGGED:#bosnia#floods#Libya#news
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love1
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Federation of BiH allocated over 10 Million BAM for Child Allowances
Next Article The International Sarajevo Airport records the number of One Million Passengers
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

From Srebrenica to St. Louis: Refugee Brothers Honor Their Roots Through Achievement and Resilience
May 22, 2026
Bosnia and Herzegovina Marks 34 Years of United Nations Membership
May 22, 2026
Magyar assures Becirovic: Hungary seeks Relations founded on Respect
May 22, 2026
Radoncic: SBB will return, we are running for a Member of the BiH Presidency
May 22, 2026
BiH FM to participate at GLOBSEC Forum 2026
May 22, 2026
Duran sentenced to 43 Years in Prison for the Murder of Nadira Sahacic
May 22, 2026
Intensifying Cooperation between the judiciary of BiH and Croatia
May 22, 2026
Former Workers of the Zenica Brown Coal Mine threaten Hunger Strike
May 22, 2026
Anniversary of the Death of Twelve Babies over Lack of Oxygen in Banja Luka
May 22, 2026
BiH FM Files a Criminal Complaint Regarding the Opening of the Border Crossing in Bosanska Gradiška
May 22, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?