‘’Yesterday morning (July 9th, 1902) at 10 a.m., four cars drove from Ilidža to Sarajevo, where many audience was expecting them since 8 o’clock in the morning.The policemen on horses and the police commissioner Lindes in a carriage escorted them into the city. The cars were decorated with small Bosnian flags and greenery, and were covered in dust. The cars drove to in front of the City Hall, where they were welcomed by Mr Baron Mollinary, the French consul Mr Gouty the government trustee vit. Zarzycki. After the mutual introduction, the foreign hosts were greeted by the City Mayor H. Nezir ef. Skaljić and the City representative Esad ef. Kulović (the latter French) wholeheartedly, for which the president of the club of the French drivers Baron Zuylen expressed cordial gratitude…’’
Driving cars down Sarajevo evoked imaginable sensation, and even greater in the Sarajevo field, where the farmers from the bazaar by the way admired some kind of ‘’devil carriages, flying on the road’’.
This is how the news published in the Sarajevski list on July 10th 1902 looked like. Namely, several participants of the race Paris-Vienna arrived in B&H after the people of Sarajevo met with the cars.
The first car with a permanent address in Sarajevo arrived three years after this news. Behind its wheel was the Austro-Hungarian officer Ljudevit (Ludwig) Wolf, who drove in a postal car.
Wolf was also the first driving instructor in the city.
The first car accident in B&H, in addition, occurred in 1905, on the road from Bosanski Novi to Bihać, and the former journalist accompanied it with the following words:
‘’All that is being born, has its death, all that is made, can be destroyed, and so can cars’’.
Nobody was injured in the accident.
(Source: radiosarajevo.ba/ photo delcampe)