By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Search
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Prosecutor Serge Brammertz addressed the UNSC by saying Thousands of Cases still need to be processed for War Crimes
Share
Font ResizerAa
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Font ResizerAa
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
  • W&N
Search
  • HOME
  • POLITICS
    • BH & EU
  • BUSINESS
  • BH TOURISM
  • INTERVIEWS
    • BH & EU
    • BUSINESS
    • ARTS
  • SPORT
  • ARTS
    • CULTURE
    • ENTERTAINMENT
  • W&N
Follow US
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All rights reserved.
Sarajevo Times > Blog > POLITICS > Prosecutor Serge Brammertz addressed the UNSC by saying Thousands of Cases still need to be processed for War Crimes
POLITICS

Prosecutor Serge Brammertz addressed the UNSC by saying Thousands of Cases still need to be processed for War Crimes

Published: July 18, 2019
Share
SHARE

Prosecutor Serge Brammertz of the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (Mechanism) today addressed the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).

He began by providing an update regarding the limited number of ongoing trials and appeals under the Mechanism’s jurisdiction, namely the appeals in Karadžić and Mladić, the retrial in Stanišić and Simatović and pre-trial proceedings in the Turinabo et al. contempt case. Regarding the appeal judgment in the Karadžić case, which confirmed Karadžić’s convictions at trial and increased his sentence to life imprisonment, Prosecutor Brammertz said, “This case is a powerful demonstration that when the international community remains determined, justice can and will prevail.”

The Prosecutor then briefed the Security Council on the status of the search for the remaining eight fugitives indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda. He informed the Security Council that during the reporting period, the OTP has developed credible intelligence on the current whereabouts of several fugitives, and accordingly approached a number of Member States to seek their cooperation. He noted, however, that there are a number of issues in state cooperation that have negatively impacted the OTP’s efforts to secure arrests.

Prosecutor Brammertz emphasized: “This year marked the 25th anniversary of the Rwandan Genocide. It is time for the remaining fugitives indicted by the ICTR to be brought to justice. The victims have waited for far too long.”

In relation to national efforts in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia to achieve more justice for more victims, the Prosecutor noted that Rwandan authorities continue to search for more than 500 fugitives, while in the former Yugoslavia, thousands of cases still need to be processed by national courts.

Noting that last year, the OTP received 333 requests for assistance to provide evidence, more than ever before, Prosecutor Brammertz explained, “Our national counterparts are unanimous that they need more support, assistance and advice to successfully implement national war crimes strategies.” Regarding regional judicial cooperation in the former Yugoslavia, which has been moving in the wrong direction for the last several years, the Prosecutor said, “I am pleased to report that with my Office’s support, at the recent conference in Belgrade the region’s chief prosecutors agreed to transfer specific cases involving mid-level officials from the countries where the crimes were committed to the countries where suspects are now living. They further requested my Office to facilitate this process.”

Finally, Prosecutor Brammertz again informed the Security Council about the continued glorification of war criminals and denial of crimes in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia. In relation to Rwanda, the Prosecutor said, “Efforts to minimize the scale of the death and destruction, or point to other factors to detract attention from the facts of the genocide, are unacceptable.”

Regarding the former Yugoslavia, Prosecutor Brammertz emphasized that “denial brings profound pain to the victims,” and that “glorification punishes the youth” by “driving them apart rather than bringing them together”.

He concluded, “The international community failed the victims in Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia by standing by as the crimes were committed. We cannot fail them again now by not speaking out against denial and glorification.”

BiH Foreign Minister attends the 3rd Makkah Halal Forum
First Honorary Consulate of B&H in Australia
Story about Migrant Chef and his Son who is playing for Youth Team of Football Club Sarajevo
Europol Announced Conclusion of Agreement Between B&H and Montenegro
Judge from Court of BiH participated in Seminar in Azerbaijan
TAGGED:#BiH#local#news#war
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Telegram Threads Bluesky Email Print
Share
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Previous Article Dodik congratulated newly-elected European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen
Next Article EUFOR-led Rescue Exercise held in Sarajevo
Leave a Comment Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Stay Connected

10.2kFollowersLike
10.1kFollowersFollow
414FollowersFollow

Latest News

Anniversary of the Death of Twelve Babies over Lack of Oxygen in Banja Luka
May 22, 2026
BiH FM Files a Criminal Complaint Regarding the Opening of the Border Crossing in Bosanska Gradiška
May 22, 2026
Belgium launches Investigation into ‘Sniper Safaris’ during Bosnian War
May 22, 2026
Federal Ministry of Transport – More than 21 Million BAM for road Infrastructure
May 22, 2026
Deadline for Submission of Applications for Certification of Political Parties expires Today
May 22, 2026
Travnik demonstrates a high Level of Readiness with “Lasva 26” Demonstration Exercise
May 22, 2026
EUFOR Commander Engages Students in Dialogue on Security, Stability, and BiH’s Future
May 22, 2026
Euphoria in Sarajevo: “The Dragons” at the World Cup Spark a True Panini Sticker Frenzy
May 22, 2026
Nordic Countries Reaffirm Support for Bosnia and Herzegovina at Sarajevo Reception
May 21, 2026
“No Room for Impunity”: Austria Opens Probe Into Alleged Sarajevo Sniper Tours
May 21, 2026
Sarajevo TimesSarajevo Times
Follow US
© 2012 Sarajevo Times. All Rights Reserved.
  • ABOUT US
  • IMPRESSUM
  • NEWSLETTER
  • CONTACT
Go to mobile version
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?